Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 10:15 PM

Default Meaning in life time to make a move.,,,,

While working in NY as an accountant i've grown sick of my job. Its a fine job but i find no meaning in what i do. At the end of the day i dont feel as if i did anything. More and more i been leaning toward going to law school. But am a little afraid of leaving the comfortable life that im am. Just wanted to here comments from anyone who worked and went back and there experiences. Its a huge commitement, (think 250K+ from time tuition and salaries lost). Ive never been one to back away from a challenge so i will do it, but am curoius to know from others on thoughts. Does any job ever make you feel good at the end of the day? Just struggling trying to find a meaning in my work life.....
Old 08-04-2005, 10:49 PM

Default Re: Meaning in life time to make a move.,,,,

A lot of jobs do, but I can see how accounting would not be one. Not much room for creativity (legally), and you're kind of on the sideline keeping score instead of playing the game.

I'd definintely consider changing to something different - just look into what kind of job you will have as a lawyer and make sure that's what you want to do.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:53 PM

I just graduated with a degree in accounting and already know I don't like it, so atleast I saved the time of finding out after getting the job. I would say go for it, as long as you know that's what you really want to do.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just graduated with a degree in accounting

[/ QUOTE ]

sucker.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sucker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, I have a feeling I would have found an equal lack of meaning in pretty much any scholastic direction.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sucker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, I have a feeling I would have found an equal lack of meaning in pretty much any scholastic direction.

[/ QUOTE ]

right, and you're a sucker for choosing the major that was the hardest.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:12 PM

I'm with ya there
Old 08-04-2005, 11:17 PM

I'd make the jump. Why stay in something you don't like?
Old 08-04-2005, 11:33 PM

"At the end of the day i dont feel as if i did anything"

And you want to be a lawyer??????

Look, if you go to law school you might end up doing law that calls on your accounting background. Then what? Do you think there is a kind of law practice that would excite you? What is it?

I think if you want something different, look for more rewarding careers than law. Depends on what you do. Law can be extremely rewarding at times. It can also be reaaly annoying, dull, and rotten. Don't kid yourself about how great it will be. It can be great. Often isn't and many people hate it.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:15 AM

Well, I'm in the midst of a career change myself. I'm a graduate of a top aeronautical university with a B.S. in Aeronautical Science, along with commercial pilot and flight instructor certificates. From a very young age, I wanted to fly airplanes. When I got older, I decided that I would like to fly jets for a major airline, and spent four years in college working towards that goal. I took out roughly $130,000 in student loans and made it happen.

As soon as I graduated, I took a look around. I fully expected to graduate, go work as a flight instructor for a couple years, then go fly for some regional carrier. In fact, this had been my plan for years. But when I got out of school, things just didn't feel right. The aviation industry for pilots is a very volatile one, with low initial pay and terrible job security. Even senior pilots for large carriers are taking massive pay cuts, and are still subject to furlough. I love to fly, but I decided that in order to go into this industry, you had to have some other reason besides "I love to fly." What that reason is, I have no clue.

So, I started casually looking at other options, and came up with the idea to go work for the FAA. Long story short, I'm moving to Los Angeles in December to spend a year in Air Traffic Controller school. I'm making a very difficult jump, but I think it will be well worth it in the end.

Anyways, that's just my story. I can't really give you much advice, but I just wanted to point out that you're not alone not feeling satisfied with job or an industry. Good luck out there.