Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2001, 09:33 AM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 11-28-2001, 12:59 PM

Default Re: Great Flick-Spy Games

Rounder,

Doesn't it have the standard "Almost everybody in the CIA and government is an evil guy and does unspeakable deeds for no good reason" attitude usually found in the other Redford movies (e.g., Three Days Of the Condor)?

Regards,

Rick
Old 11-28-2001, 07:44 PM

Default Re: Great Flick-Spy Games

Rick,

Three Days of the Condor was made in the immediate post-Watergate days (came out in 1975, I think) and, if indeed that film can be viewed as espousing the theory that almost everyone in the government and the CIA is an evil guy and does unspeakable deeds for no good reason, it is understandable. Because that is precisely what most of our leaders were and did in those days: bad guys doing bad things for bad reasons. We were governed by crooks, their policies executed by thugs.

I think it came as a shock to most Americans not that our government leaders made mistakes, but that they could be such pathological liars and callous criminals. Not at all surprising, then, that some movies of the time reflected that startling revelation.

Haven't seen Spy Games, although I know the screenwriter. Everyone I know who's seen it has told me it's fun.

BTW, I saw Heist last week, like it a lot. It helps if you like Mamet.

Regards,

Andy