Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 10:55 AM

Default airport 1hr prior to flight? does anyone do this?

having my first flight post 9/11 w/o a female telling me when to leave. they always want to be there an hr (or more) early. i used to fly alot pre terrorism and would skate in like 10-15 min before flight. never had any problems then.

does anyone know if this is still doable? i figure that as long as i alow enough time to go through the bataan metal detector march i should be ok. do they really deny anyone just cause you got there too late?

also, i would like to check a bag but can take it on the plane if it'd allow me to show up later.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:57 AM

Default Re: airport 1hr prior to flight? does anyone do this?

You will need every minute of that time, and then some, especially if you're flying during a busy time of day. The security checks are really amped up, and as quickly as they try to work it can still back up the lines. If you're checking a bag, you'll have to account for the time to get through that line...its better to be way too early than a little too late.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:58 AM

Please read THIS.

If it's a major airport or if it's a typically busy travel day, I would recommend a little extra time. An hour is definitely a little conservative, but it would suck to miss your flight, right?

There's no problem, but you're flirting with danger if you're trying to get there right at the last minute and you get caught up in a long security line or they decide they want to search your bag. Or if there's an accident on the way and traffic's bad... or if the shuttle from the parking lot is particularly slow...

They'll give your seat to a standby passenger if you're not there something like 5-10 minutes before the flight takes off.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:03 AM

i dont get it. are you saying there are too many factors to weight them all accurately?
Old 08-04-2005, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont get it. are you saying there are too many factors to weight them all accurately?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm saying you haven't provided anough information about the hand. What airport? What time of day? What airline? Where are you parking?
Old 08-04-2005, 11:08 AM

austin, so small airport no traffic, at noon central.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
austin, so small airport no traffic, at noon central.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't had any trouble at the Austin airport itself. They get you through pretty smoothly, and noon shouldn't be too bad. A lot depends on which airline too. If you're checking bags some get your through quicker than others. Some have curbside checking. I usually use the online check-in before leaving for the airport. It lets you print your boarding pass from home.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i used to fly alot pre terrorism and would skate in like 10-15 min before flight. does anyone know if this is still doable?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's not.

[ QUOTE ]
i figure that as long as i alow enough time to go through the bataan metal detector march i should be ok.

[/ QUOTE ]

You also need to account for an extra 15 minutes or so for getting selected for a random search.

[ QUOTE ]
do they really deny anyone just cause you got there too late?

[/ QUOTE ]

All the time.

[ QUOTE ]
also, i would like to check a bag but can take it on the plane if it'd allow me to show up later.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are checking a bag, 1 hr is the bare minimum. Without a bag, 45 minutes is the bare minimum. If you are an elite-level frequent flyer or in business/first and the airport has a priority security line, that makes it a little safer to cut it close.