Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 02:01 AM

Default folding a flopped flush? Party $55

No read on villian.. what else could he have after his flop call?

was preflop a little fishy?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (10 handed) converter

UTG+1 (t4185)
Hero (t1315)
MP1 (t1785)
MP2 (t735)
MP3 (t855)
CO (t2910)
Button (t1650)
SB (t1155)
BB (t2695)
UTG (t2020)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls t30, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t30, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t125</font>, UTG calls t95, Hero calls t95, SB folds.

Flop: (t405) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t30</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t300</font>, BB calls t300, UTG folds.

Turn: (t1035) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (t1035) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t600</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t1635
Old 08-04-2005, 02:03 AM

Default Re: folding a flopped flush? Party $55

Ick. I don't think there's any other way to play the hand, though.

EDIT: I think the only hand you could be ahead of is QQ. KdKx and AdAx look likely.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:10 AM

I think i might bet/fold the turn. Checking the turn makes it possible for him to take it away with a worse hand on the river. But i feel somewhat bias in my analysis because of the way the hand played out.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:31 PM

I would have folded PF. While it is being advocated in this forum to loosen up in the earlier part of the tourney, I may consider playing mid-suited connectors only at LP at this stage because of the obvious fear of being raised. The fact that the raise came from a bigger stacked BB, my cards will hit the muck right away. His range could be anywhere from AA-JJ, AK amd if he is quite frisky may include TT or AQs none of which you can beat.

But then you decided to call, got the flush board you wished for and still got called after making a substantial raise. The way the hand played out, I think the only way you could have won was to push on the flop. But that is water under the bridge.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:42 AM

I'm an idiot and misread the post, even though i looked over it 5 times. Ignore me. Thanks

Oh, yea i fold there, even though you'll fold the best hand every once and a while, it's early enough that you can make a comeback relatively easy.

Actually, (now my 2nd edit, maybe i shuold think before posting) now i'm not sure if i fold, if he had Ad and anything else, theres a decent chance he pushes on you on the flop. He can't always assume you flopped a flush just because you raised.. i dont know, i shouldn't have responded because i don't have anything valuable.

But now i'm leaning towards call...that stupid bet of 30 could be AQ w/o a diamond, maybe some stupid two pair or set. Yea, now i've convinced myself of a call.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm an idiot and misread the post, even though i looked over it 5 times. Ignore me. Thanks

Oh, yea i fold there, even though you'll fold the best hand every once and a while, it's early enough that you can make a comeback relatively easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

He told me had AdJd.. so if we believe him he flopped it as well (I ran the time bank all the way down and said I was folding a flopped flush.. he didnt show however.)

The reason I checked the turn is there is absolutely no hand I beat once that diamond comes IMO. MAYBE QQ. That's it, and I really think he would have tried to do something more ont he flop to protect his hand against a lone diamond.

I think in the end this fold was actually pretty easy.. it's just a little hard to give up on a flopped flush.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:56 AM

btw thank you for posting this hand, it's one i've actually had to think and rethink a few times,

i guess how he played it fits with a flopped flush, but a set or mayybe TPTK w/ no diamonds also would play it this way. well except for that stupid 30 bet. I hate, and don't get that.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
except for that stupid 30 bet. I hate, and don't get that.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 30 bet comes not from the villian in this hand, but from our original raiser. Villian played this hand very well. He's slow playing a nuts flush and manages to keep 2 people in the pot with him for more bets by checking the flop (which says, "Oops, somebody might have a flush?") and then bashing it once the victims have commited themselves.

This post is just another reason medium suited connectors scare the crap out of me in NL tournaments. 87d is a great Limit hand in a ring game because you either hit a good piece of the flop and have odds to keep going, or you miss completely and toss it in with little money invested.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:57 AM

Very hard to lay down a hand of that strength but lets give this person credit for calling your raise with 3 diamonds on the board-i dont believe he flopped the nuts with ad jd-i do believe that he had a flush draw and caught it on the turn-you showed strengh with your flop raise if i am holding the nut flush and you raise 10 times my 30 dollar bet you are declaring you have a flush also why do i need to slow play any further if i have the nut flush and you have a smaller one-i am going to come over the top with a raise and hopefully you move all in-now i let you see the turn and drats another diamond so if you have a small flush you are now done losing money on the hand-you did all you can with your flop raise he got lucky on the turn checked it and bet the river-you lost 425 on the hand you still have almost 1000 game is not over but you call his river bet and you are wrong you are now down to about 300 chips and short stacked-over all i think you played the hand well post flop and in the end-but it was a hand you should have folded before the flop with the raise-i want to play suited connectors in a multi way pot with many limpers late in position but with a raise of that much i am going to get out the way only losing my intial bet