Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2003, 05:04 PM

Default UPS

You know what? UPS is a lousy shipping company. I have had more bad experiences with them than with any other method of shipment. The last two book orders I've received shipped UPS have been damaged. I received a $900 telescope with the secondary mirror detached and rattling around inside the optical tube, rendering the primary mirror, secondary mirror, and the corrector lens completely useless. Working with them to get this returned was an exercise in frustration, and a clear case of one hand not knowing what the other hand is doing. Another shipment was promised to be expedited for 2 day delivery, and it took over a week. If you call and tell them to hold an order at the local center, they put it on the truck and try to deliver it anyway. Why does anyone use this company? I'm done now, ty.
Old 03-13-2003, 06:47 PM

Default Re: UPS

I avoid it when possible. I have had problems with them as well. Including being hassled by them at midnight (yes midnight) when they were trying to send a package to some other dude. I ended up having to go to one of their outposts to say I was not Joe Smith or whomever and I didn't order the chia pet and to stop bothering me. They wanted me to fill out forms and go to the office in another city or something to keep from being hassled. And they're anti-gun. When given the choice I go with fedex or the post office.
Old 03-13-2003, 07:13 PM

Perhaps they would be a profitable short. They seem to have serious problems with their infrastructure that may not be obvious yet to analysts. It's pretty bad when you can't compare favorably with the PO. I like FedEx, they're fast, reliable, and they can guarantee a delivery date. Maybe buy FedEx and short UPS on a hedge.
Old 03-14-2003, 01:56 AM

HDPM,

You're not suggesting Fedex and the post office are pro-gun, are you?

John
Old 03-14-2003, 10:19 AM

Some postal workers seem to be pro gun! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-14-2003, 10:39 AM

I used to work in the shipping department of my company and you have to see how UPS handles packages, its funny. The would stand at the end of the truck and we would give the packages to him and he would just throw them into the back. Not surprised you got damaged goods.
Old 03-14-2003, 02:00 PM

Of course postal service is anti-gun, but it's mostly due to idiotic federal laws. I don't think you can legally mail guns but have to use a shipping co. UPS either made it harder to do or stopped. Fedex is fine. Given federal law, you can't even carry a gun into a post office which is of course unconstitutional and a load of crap. Where are you more likely to need one? [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 03-14-2003, 05:35 PM

have to see how UPS handles packages, its funny

Yeah, hilarious. What a bunch of goofballs. I figure they have a business model that is based on doing such high volume that it doesn't matter if they break commitments, or else they are really an extremely elaborate front for drug smuggling. Let's see...brown. Heroin is sometimes brown, as is marijuana.
Old 03-14-2003, 06:49 PM

Hi Bruce:

Well this is an area that I probably have more experience in than anyone else on these forums since the majority of our shipping goes UPS. Simply put, even though there are some problems, they are the best. FedEx Ground (formerly RPS) is a close second, and the Post Office is a distant third for large packages. However, for small packages, such as one or two books, the post office becomes the best because of media mail rates. But anything over 20 pounds is in danger of getting destroyed.

If you think you had trouble dealing with UPS, try dealing with the post office when you have something insured by them and it is damaged. UPS is far easier and more efficient.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 03-14-2003, 08:04 PM

I was about to tell you I've always been happy with Priority Mail from the PO. I just picked up a package shipped that way. Nice solid box, not some one-piece folded piece of garbage. Inside was Roy Cooke's book Real Poker II...and it was warped! But I don't think it's permanent. I guess there's something about shipping books. You've got to put in some filler for bracing. Anyway, soon I'll be able to answer the guy's question about comparing this book to Mason's essays III and Jim Brier's book. Right now my comparison is that Mason's book is the only one that wasn't warped. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I never have much patience for companies who make their whole business out of something as straighforward as delivering packages and still can't get it right. I mean, it's not like they deliver packages as a sideline while they are sending sattelites to Pluto, or while they are solving cold fusion. All they have to do is deliver packages, it's the same thing every time. What's the problem?