Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 08:58 PM

Default Rifle - iron sights - what should I get.

I have a .308 Varmint with a telescope on it and a shotty. Now I want something a little more close range (i.e. iron sights/scopeless) that has more power than a .22 and doesn't scream "preparing for alien invasion". This makes woods stock guns ideal. Pops will freak out if I show him an M-16 but will grin from ear to ear if I show him a M-1 Garand. The gun is for me but I would like to take him shooting.

I want it to be accurate out to 100-150 yards. Anything greater will be nice but not necessary. I want to be able to carry a LOT of ammo. 5.56mm seems ideal, but Zeno's mini-30 talk has me wondering about 7.62x39. Anything in .308 Winchester is way too much. I can carry 100 rounds in cargo pockets with 5.56mm. Need a backpack to do that with .308 win. Semi-auto is also a must.

Unfortunately this doesn't leave much.

Right now I'm looking at:

The M-1 Carbine:
http://www.auto-ordnance.com/ao_aom110.html

Mini-14

and possibly the mini-30 (not sure if I want the bigger ammo. I want to carry a LOT of bullets.).

I've heard the "Mini-14's aren't BAD, but they have barrels like a licorice whip with only marginally more accuracy." This makes me worry about the Mini-14. Any gun owners here have one?
Old 08-03-2005, 09:04 PM

Default Re: Rifle - iron sights - what should I get.

I've heard good about the mini-30 and mini-14. Also, if the Garand is a possibility check out The CMP.

Personally I'd love to have a Garand. But i used to love my .22 Hornet I had when I was younger. Great varmint gun and might be what you're looking for.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:06 PM

Build your own.
Not as hard as it sounds.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The M-1 Carbine:

[/ QUOTE ]

Run away screaming!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Mini-14

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice rifle - very accurate a lot of guys used them in the steel challenge because they pointed faster than the AR-15. The Mini-14 is accurate out to 200+ unless it’s really windy. If you’re worried about barrel whip, consider having it rebarreled with a heavy barrel. The sights are not nearly as good at those on an M1 or M/14. Have you considered an Aimpoint or other optical dot sight? They allow you to keep both eyes open and also to focus on the target instead of the front sight and are very quick.

The only drawbacks to the Mini-14 is the short stock (if you’re tall), the semi crappy trigger pull, and the fact that Bill Ruger is a gun rights sellout.

If you want something in-between .223 and 7.62 x 39 look at a BAR in .243. These are beautifully made and real tack drivers. The only drawback is that .243 ammo is not Mil Surplus, therefore expensive.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only drawbacks to the Mini-14 is the short stock (if you’re tall), the semi crappy trigger pull,....

[/ QUOTE ]

I am 5'7" and the short stock on my Mini-30 is perfect for me. Now that crappy trigger pull is also evident on the Mini-30. I have to squeeze the trigger down some, then get all set, then do a final squeeze. A pain if you want to be accurate at target shooting. I'm thinking of taking the rifle to a gunsmith and having the trigger pull smoothed out and made slightly easier to pull. Any advice?

Years ago I use to shoot a friends home built, Hawkin-style muzzle loader that had a set trigger and a 'fire' trigger. I loved that.

-Zeno
Old 08-03-2005, 10:53 PM

The larger wound created by a 7.62 round = faster blood loss, plus any half decent assault rifle should easily be able to hit an unaware human target at up to 700m if you know how to shoot.

-Matt
Old 08-04-2005, 12:39 AM

Uh Matt, will you be my friend?
Old 08-04-2005, 08:13 AM

Since 7.62 x 39 is an option, how about an SKS in it's original wood stock option?

I used to have an M1 Carbine made by IBM. It was a really nice little gun, with the aftermarket 30 rnd mags it was lots of fun. Not sure how cheap ammo is for the carbine though. I guess for you guys in the USA its probably cheap and available.

Mini 14 is nice but the 556 version suffers from barrel whip. Rebarelling is an option but can be expensive. Some people have actually experienced an increase in accuracy just by cutting the barrel down a bit this actually aleviates the whip.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:22 AM

Yes, Martin is right. If you want a simple, reliable rifle with iron sights look for a Yugoslavian SKS. You can get unused surplus military rifles from most East-bloc countries for not much money. A 7.62 SKS would set you back no more than 200 bucks, and would easily shoot 100-150 yards. But if you want to spend more money that is your perogative.

Swede
Old 08-04-2005, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A pain if you want to be accurate at target shooting. I'm thinking of taking the rifle to a gunsmith and having the trigger pull smoothed out and made slightly easier to pull. Any advice?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only advice I can give you is take it to someone who has done a few. 3.5 to 4 pounds with no creep and a crisp break is about the best you'll get.