Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 04:26 PM

Default Driving Illegally in Ontario

Hey there, I'm about to ask a retarded question, so please be gentle.

Does anyone know what the penalty is for driving with a G1 by yourself, or for driving without insurance?

If you have a link to the info, I'll take it, but I don't want to wade through the MTO site to find it, so if someone's already done that, that would be sweet!

--Dave.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:28 PM

Default Re: Driving Illegally in Ontario

MTO... is that some crazy canuck talk for DMV?
Old 08-03-2005, 04:32 PM

It's not a slap on the wrist. Believe me, you don't want to do it.

The fine for driving without insurance is either $5000 or $10000, I can't remember which one. Plus you are barred from driving for a certain number of years afterwards. Plus when you finally are alowed to drive again, the insurance companies treat you like they treat former DUI's, and you end up paying the maximum rate.

I was in traffic court a few months ago and watched a kid get the book thrown at him for driving without insurance.

I'm not sure what the penalty for driving with just your G1 is. It's probably not as severe as it is for driving without insurance, but it still might be fairly severe.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Only for us Ontario Canucks...it stands for "Ministry of Transportation of Ontario"

However, lots of people use the term American term "DMV" instead of "MTO".
Old 08-03-2005, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ministry of Transportation of Ontario...

so probably, yes.

However, each province has their own licencing / regulatory body, I believe.

--Dave.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not a slap on the wrist. Believe me, you don't want to do it.

The fine for driving without insurance is either $5000 or $10000, I can't remember which one. Plus you are barred from driving for a certain number of years afterwards. Plus when you finally are alowed to drive again, the insurance companies treat you like they treat former DUI's, and you end up paying the maximum rate.

I was in traffic court a few months ago and watched a kid get the book thrown at him for driving without insurance.

I'm not sure what the penalty for driving with just your G1 is. It's probably not as severe as it is for driving without insurance, but it still might be fairly severe.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think some guy said it was a $5700 fine, but I was pretty shocked at that number.

One trick that you can use, if you're a moran, is signing up for insurance for a year, making sure that the cancellation charges aren't huge, then cancelling after a month. You get your doco that states taht you have insurance for a year, and there's no way a patrolman can determine that you haven't paid in the last 6 months, AFAIK anyways.

--Dave.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey there, I'm about to ask a retarded question, so please be gentle.

Does anyone know what the penalty is for driving with a G1 by yourself, or for driving without insurance?

If you have a link to the info, I'll take it, but I don't want to wade through the MTO site to find it, so if someone's already done that, that would be sweet!

--Dave.

[/ QUOTE ]

I belive it's a $5000 fine for driving without insurance.

However, consider these points:

(a) how much would it cost you if you hit and killed someone and got sued?

(This is not to mention what it what costs you morally...)

And by the way, even if you do have insurance, it won't cover any instances arising from illegal actions (i.e. driving by yourself if you only have your G1). So, similar consequences to consider as above....

Be responsible.

Adam
Old 08-03-2005, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One trick that you can use, if you're a moran, is signing up for insurance for a year, making sure that the cancellation charges aren't huge, then cancelling after a month. You get your doco that states taht you have insurance for a year, and there's no way a patrolman can determine that you haven't paid in the last 6 months, AFAIK anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

I beg to differ.

(I should mention that I've worked as an insurance broker for 3 years, and in fact, am still licenced).

Adam
Old 08-03-2005, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be shot for suggesting or even thinking of doing this.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be shot for suggesting or even thinking of doing this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, eh!! Gezuz.

Usually those who try to get out of paying for insurance are the types of drivers who need it most.

That said, imagine one of these 'people' hits and kills (or paralyzes...) another person.... then gets sued for $2 million....

... in retrospect, perhaps they'd realize that $1000-$2000 for insurance is a bargain for $2 million coverage in such instances.

(Speaking from an ethical point of view, don't you think the victims and/or their families deserve to be paid off the $2 million ... given what's been taken from them?)

Adam