Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-03-2005, 02:36 PM

Default Just became atheist, now what?

After having been enlightened (here on the forum) that it is extremely unlikely that God exists, I have decided to become atheist.

I kicked around the idea of being agnostic. But, that seems like a waste of time and no fun at all. It would be a waste of time (one’s life) because, I can’t imagine if God exists, that when I die, him not saying, “Oh, you thought I might be, but you didn’t pursue me further and at least try to find me in your heart’s desire. Get lost, man.” I won’t waste time pursuing him, since I know I can never prove him and taking a leap of faith is deemed illogical. It would be no fun, because it would be like playing a roulette wheel with no greens.

So anyway, now that I am atheist I have a dilemma. How do spend the rest of my life?

I have tried a whole gamut of things thus far in my life: drugs, drink, philosophy, theology, and religion; have already traveled a great deal, tried scuba diving, skiing, and marriage. I have spent a lot of time volunteering my time and talents at my church. I have experienced the suffering and death of loved ones (no fun at all, trust me). The things I enjoy doing at this point in my life are reading, traveling, movies, music, art, golf, poker, cigars and of course sex.

So now that I am atheist, I have decided to spend the next few years doing what I enjoy most. Going to get divorced (no kids), since the wife is and will remain Catholic I can’t see how that can work in the scheme of things. Liquidate my assets and spend time traveling and doing the things that I (already stated) enjoy.

My dilemma is this: I know that eventually I will get bored with the things I now enjoy. I can’t seem to think of anything new, otherwise I would be doing them now, too. I know that eventually I might get lonely. Then if I find someone who interests me, I can’t imagine the woman not wanting to get married and most likely want kids. I can see no point in having kids as an atheist. Maybe it is me, but I don’t think human life is so great that it needs perpetuated. (This here might be my problem, maybe life is so great and I am missing something. Don’t get me wrong, I have a great life and enjoy it most of the time. I have the wherewithal to do most anything, too.) What real need is procreation, if there is no higher reason for our being born?

I ask this question now, because who knows, by the time I need the answer years down the road, the wisdom of this forum might not still be here. Then where will I go? I already tried published scholars, before I found 2+2. They were no help.

So, how does an atheist, who believes that to procreate is nonsense, live out his life?

Btw, I feel that the poker room is the logical place to end up. I just don’t see it as being enough.

Oh yeah, one final question. Now that I am atheist, do I capitalize the word god? I know that grammatically speaking I should, because it refers to a proper person (thing). But, now that I believe in no such thing, how do I handle this? It seems silly to capitalize something that doesn’t exits.