Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 03:59 AM

Default Thoughts on big 10/20 NL hand?

Playing in a 10/20 NL Live game tonight. Minimum buying $500, max $3,000. I had $4,000, most had between $1000-$3000. Villain had over $30,000 and I was second on chips with my $4000. He was on a complete tear busting everyone with hands like 83 off raising all the way. Also showing a lot of bluffs thereby getting paid off lots when he hit. It was literally impossible to put him on a hand as he'd make it $300 preflop with AA or 83 offsuit just the same. He was calling thousands with gutshots and bottom pairs and hitting rivers like noone i've seen. He started with $1,000 and made $30,000 in under 2 hours.

Anyway I had AQ suited and he makes it $200, I call, we get 5 more callers. His raises got no respect and lots of callers. Flop comes A A 7, suits unimportant. Villain is first to act and bets $500. Now, i'm thinking noone has AK or they would have raised preflop, and noone was limping in with A7 at this table, and i'd expect a raise with 77 the way the table was going. I wasn't worried about the rest of the table beating me, but villain was just as likely to have A7 or 77 as he was to have 72 offsuit. He'd have played them all the same. What is my play here?
Old 08-02-2005, 04:05 AM

Default Re: Thoughts on big 10/20 NL hand?

Call and see if someone behind you wants to stay in or make a move at it. Don't fold this hand no matter what happens behind you.

If everyone else drops out, put the rest in on the turn.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Call and see if someone behind you wants to stay in or make a move at it. Don't fold this hand no matter what happens behind you.

If everyone else drops out, put the rest in on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this is the only way to play this, a push here lets a weaker ace muck.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:49 AM

Call and get the rest of your money in if someone behind you raises. Push the turn.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:55 AM

Trust your read, call for callers. Don't worry about the psycho. This situation is brilliant.

I take it you lost your stack.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Playing in a 10/20 NL Live game tonight. Minimum buying $500, max $3,000. I had $4,000, most had between $1000-$3000. Villain had over $30,000 and I was second on chips with my $4000. He was on a complete tear busting everyone with hands like 83 off raising all the way. Also showing a lot of bluffs thereby getting paid off lots when he hit. It was literally impossible to put him on a hand as he'd make it $300 preflop with AA or 83 offsuit just the same. He was calling thousands with gutshots and bottom pairs and hitting rivers like noone i've seen. He started with $1,000 and made $30,000 in under 2 hours.

Anyway I had AQ suited and he makes it $200, I call, we get 5 more callers. His raises got no respect and lots of callers. Flop comes A A 7, suits unimportant. Villain is first to act and bets $500. Now, i'm thinking noone has AK or they would have raised preflop, and noone was limping in with A7 at this table, and i'd expect a raise with 77 the way the table was going. I wasn't worried about the rest of the table beating me, but villain was just as likely to have A7 or 77 as he was to have 72 offsuit. He'd have played them all the same. What is my play here?

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be willing to get all your money in on this one, but there are situtations where you should fold.

For example, here is a 2-5 hand where I had AK in LMP. All stacks are about 500.

UTG limped, MP posted, I raised to 20, UTG and MP both call. The flop is AA4. UTG bets 30, MP calls, I call. Turn is a 7. UTG checks, MP bets 100, I reraise to 200, UTG goes all in, and MP thinks for a loooong time then mucks hesitantly. Now at this point I have half my stack in the pot, but a fold is defintely the right play. Both UTG and MP were decent players, so there is absolutely no way that my hand is best. There is only one other ace in play and from the way that MP mucked his hand it is obvious that he had it. So the UTG player who is all in must have 44.

I called like an idiot and of course UTG had 44.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:15 PM

Since you can't put Villain on a hand don't worry about him. If he's got quads then you're going to have to pay him off. I would think the best plan is to keep him in the lead and see how many others you can keep in the pot. I think Villain has shown he'll get all your stack in, so the only problem is how many will see the turn. I don't think anybody will be trying to make a hand after the turn.If no callers there will be a $2000 pot and you have $3300 left. Should be an easy push on the turn and hopefully you can find another caller.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he's got quads then you're going to have to pay him off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then check up his sleeves and call the sheriff.

Bingo
Old 08-02-2005, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If he's got quads then you're going to have to pay him off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then check up his sleeves and call the sheriff.

Bingo

[/ QUOTE ]You just made me spit coffee on my keyboard.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You just made me spit coffee on my keyboard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please don't say this. I see it enough on other forums. I dread the day this infiltrates 2+2.