Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 03:28 PM

Default I drown on the river

Unknowns. I spent a lot of time contemplating just calling the intiial river bet as well as folding to the 3bet.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

River: (9.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Final Pot: 18.50 BB
Old 08-01-2005, 04:03 PM

Default Re: I drown on the river

Weak- call that river 3-bet confidently. Folding against an unknown would be terrible.

I also would have raised the flop, both for value and for a free card or fold equity depending on whether I check or bet the turn.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:20 PM

I really don't like raising the flop there. Its neutral value *if* both call and the risk of getting 3 bet and knocking other dude out is too large IMO. Plus it reduces your payoff if you hit. Also a lot of time they call and donk turn.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:22 PM

No - i would most often times raise the flop there for obvious reasons.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:29 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

I'd go for the overcall on the river. think about what UTG has when he raises the turn. flopped aces up is possible. a set is possible, as is turned jacks up since you ahve no read. AT/A9 make sense too. if he had aces up, now he has A no kicker and the flush just hit, and it's not hard to put you on a flush having called the flop, then called 2 on the turn. so a lot of the time he checks his A there, whether it was A8 or AT. also, you ahve the SB in there, so you gain something by callign and trying to keep him in there.

flop I like the call. you don't really gain much by raising. you get the occasional free card, but I like disguising my hand and get an extra SB when I hit. also the A on the board and the UTG caller make it unlikely that you'll take it down without a shwodown. also if the blind ahs an A he might put you on spades automatically (beacuse that's what people do) and 3-bet. in such a small pot, isolating yoruself sucks. you really want those implied odds here.