Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2005, 10:51 PM

Default $50 SNG

THis is my first SNG post. I don't usually play them but I was waiting for my game on the weekend so I thought I'd give it a crack. It was live and the blinds seemed to go up every orbit, people were leaving every 2nd hand or so, it was ridiculous. Seemed like a chook raffle.

Its 3 handed, SB is the chip leader (5000+), doesnt bluff just waits. BB is a fool(2500). I've got (2500)
Blinds 200/400
Hero has A9o
Hero raises to 800
SB goes all in
BB folds

Do I call on the grounds that I won't be bullied, and keep alive what seems like a good chance to get a big stack or do I fold and hope the Maniac gets dumb and play for second.

JT [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 07-31-2005, 10:56 PM

Default Re: $50 SNG

i fold.

in the future, you should be looking to open-push w/ only 6BB's. contrary to the advice, a hand like A9o is a perfect candidate.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:09 PM

Call, and push preflop initially. You simply can't fold or not push A9 3-handed with 6x BB.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Call, and push preflop initially. You simply can't fold or not push A9 3-handed with 6x BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i suppose i can't argue with the call -- on the agreed assumption he should have open-pushed to begin with (thus the call is chip-equivalent to open-pushing).

for the sake of arguement - when is this misstep an opportunity to actually lay it down? is this an automatic call? i guess the point is mute when we are here simply because we 'forgot' to push. but in this example, if a 'solid' SB communicates to us that he has us dominated, is folding an option IYO, when the other shortie is an 'idiot'?
Old 07-31-2005, 11:48 PM

Well I waswondering two things; If A9 was worth the call, but mainly was the call worth the risk? In the end I figured I should have let the 'idiot' bust himself out. Should I play for second? I'm a mid-limit ring gamer so SNG was a bit new to me, but I was happy with the amount of terrible players at my table.

Another Question, should you call an allin with 22? Early in the tournament with equal stacks. Cos a guy called me with that anbd I showed him JJ.

JT [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2005, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Another Question, should you call an allin with 22? Early in the tournament with equal stacks. Cos a guy called me with that anbd I showed him JJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

His call is probably terrible, but it depends on the blinds and his stack size at that time. Generally you never want to call an all-in with 22 early on.

AcidReign