Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2005, 10:35 PM

Default NL200 6 max flop essentially the nuts

i tend to screw up hands where i flop (essentially) the nuts. is my flop bet suspicious? would any of you check? or is my line pretty standard? (this is only my fourth hand)

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 6 handed) converter

MP ($194.15)
CO :#A500AF(Villian)/ ($162.40)
Button ($379.50)
SB ($43)
Hero ($232)
UTG ($190.32)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $2, CO :#A500AF(Villian)/ calls $2, Button calls $2, SB (poster) completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, MP calls $8, CO :#A500AF(Villian)/ calls $8, Button calls $8, SB calls $8.

Flop: ($50) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, MP calls $15, Villian calls $15, Button folds, SB folds.

Turn: ($95) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $60</font>
Old 07-31-2005, 10:40 PM

Default Re: NL200 6 max flop essentially the nuts

Flop is great. Turn, I might check/call, lead river. Don't worry, a ten will bet. And you don't need to frighten away any jacks. Also, lots of good things can hit the river to make you happy. Straights can complete, people can hit their overcards, etc.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:43 PM

I love the flop bet.

Check the turn. A ten will bet here, and you can call, and if the ten is fishy enough, you can get it all in on the river with him.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:19 PM

i don't think it's suspicious per se, but i think you're losing value. i would make a standard continuation bet...people will give you action with that just as much as a small bet, especially if they have a T.

would you have only bet $15 if you had held AA?

EDIT: after getting calls on the flop, i check the turn to show a little weakness and let people catch hands that will pay me off.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:22 PM

I do not like the flop bet at all. You need to best at least half the pot.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:16 AM

Raise way more PF (like to $12 or something). Flop half pot is ok, anything less is sketchy unless you've doen it before or you are playing against someone who will raise with nothing sensing weakness. Turn I half pot again.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:59 AM

The only thing that sucks here is if an Ace falls on the turn or river since your boat can lose to the bigger boat that is AT.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The only thing that sucks here is if an Ace falls on the turn or river since your boat can lose to the bigger boat that is AT.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I agree with you, there's essentially nothing one can do here if an Ace hits and someone has AT. Are you going to push the turn and force out these hands? Of course not, and they may likely call any ways and then you're stuck with whatever the river brings. Are check/fold on the river if an ace hits? You're pretty much stuck going to the felt here and putting your faith in the poker gods.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

While I agree with you, there's essentially nothing one can do here if an Ace hits and someone has AT. Are you going to push the turn and force out these hands? Of course not, and they may likely call any ways and then you're stuck with whatever the river brings. Are check/fold on the river if an ace hits? You're pretty much stuck going to the felt here and putting your faith in the poker gods.

[/ QUOTE ]

please tell me you're joking.

please.

fim
Old 08-01-2005, 04:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is such bad advice I had to respond. Hero would have Jacks over Tens ... Opponent would have Tens over Aces. Opponent would have a losing hand.

Turn bet was way too much. Not going to get called.

I would not have led at that flop either. I've got the nuts - barring the miracle 10.10, which you are going to pay off.