Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 08:53 PM

Default What exactly is \"Trolling\"?

Charges & counter-charges are flying around the forums surrounding the practice of 'trolling'......

As I can think of a number of possible definitions, I'd like to be clear what the word actually means in regards to posts here on 2+2.

Some help please?
Old 07-29-2005, 08:56 PM

Default Re: What exactly is \"Trolling\"?

living under a bridge eating goats?
Old 07-29-2005, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
living under a bridge eating goats?

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmmmmmm......methinks Oklahoman's have to be carefull making comments about goats & sheep?

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2005, 09:36 PM

From www.urbandictionary.com:

[ QUOTE ]
1. A large, brutish creature of European myth, often lacking in intelligence. Sometimes compared to the Japanese oni.
2. A dumbass who makes idiotic posts in message boards newsgroups for the sole purpose of pissing people off, often lacking in intelligence. Sometimes compared to people who pass you by on the sidewalk then grab you in inappropriate places.
ex. 1. "AAAAAAHH, it's a troll!"
"Protect the women and children! Grab your torches!"
ex 2. "AAAAAAHH, it's a troll!"
"****head... we banned him five times and he keeps making new accounts about how he pwns all and that

[/ QUOTE ]

But they also say this:

[ QUOTE ]
2b. Noun
An aesthetically repulsive person, often has terrible social skills, usually a woman. See Troglodyte.

2c. Noun
An old, unattractive gay man who hits on young men, and cannot seem to understand that they want nothing to do with him.

[/ QUOTE ]

For Trolling:

[ QUOTE ]
1. Visiting a specific website at high frequency (more then once every five minutes), searching indefinetly for updates, clicking every link, downloading every photo, reading every piece of text, etc.

2. Visiting an online forum in order to read every single thread, over and over...even if you've read it 10 times already, meanwhile searching for that one lucky thread where you might be able to throw in a "lol" or "word up", though it probably won't be necessary.

[/ QUOTE ]

But also:
[ QUOTE ]
Going out at night for the sole purpose of engaging in a sexual act with an ugly person.
After a rough day at work, Pete decided to go trolling at the local dive bar. To justify the act, he reasoned that "its all pink inside".

[/ QUOTE ]

Pick the meaning that may apply to the given circumstance.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:57 PM

This is the definition I use:

"Trolling is an internet term that means you are not posting to actually start or participate in a good discussion, but simply to anger another member or group of members."

-Anonymous on another forum

I will only add that the 'troll' often doesn't even believe what is in his own posts.

People use the term troll in all sorts of ways, though.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:59 PM

tyvm, Hamish.....leave it to a practical Scotsman to reply right to the point.

Do I take it you mean that perhaps 'Trolling' can have many meanings, is subjective, and is defined by the eyes of the beholder?
Old 07-29-2005, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is the definition I use:

"Trolling is an internet term that means you are not posting to actually start or participate in a good discussion, but simply to anger another member or group of members."

-Anonymous on another forum

I will only add that the 'troll' often doesn't even believe what is in his own posts.

People use the term troll in all sorts of ways, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds reasonable to me....except what may or may not anger another member or group is open to personal interpretation, is it not?
Old 07-29-2005, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
except what may or may not anger another member or group is open to personal interpretation, is it not?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of the main reasons the term ends up being used so loosely by many people.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
except what may or may not anger another member or group is open to personal interpretation, is it not?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of the main reasons the term ends up being used so loosely by many people.

[/ QUOTE ]

totally agree.....

So riddle me this: To be accused of "trolling" is highly likely to mean entirely different things, based upon the definition held by the accuser, is it not?

Does it not then follow that being banned for "trolling" could just as likely be being punished for doing something that is so loosely defined that it can be used as justification by the banner without reasonable substantion?
Old 07-29-2005, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does it not then follow that being banned for "trolling" could just as likely be being punished for doing something that is so loosely defined that it can be used as justification by the banner without reasonable substantion?

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew this is where you were going, but I'll respond.

The problem is that what one person defines as "reasonable substantiation" is more often than not different from how others see it. If everyone had to agree about whether or not a person was 'trolling', the problem would never be dealt with. It does happen. People do troll forums just to stir up trouble.

Since I think that I know where this thread will be going after this, I'll be on my way.