Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 03:42 PM

Default Tricky Queens out of position

Live 6 handed $5-5 NL game. I have $600 and Villian has $300. Villian is stuck about $750 in the session in a $300 buy in game. He has made a few calls with two pair and lost to straights/flushes. He is very agressive and plays position well. He views me as a relatively solid TAG.

Folds to me UTG +1, I raise to $20 with Red Queens. Villian calls on the button. BB calls.

Flop ($65) is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. BB Checks, I bet $30. Villian Calls, BB folds. At this point I am pretty sure I am ahead and put him on a heart draw or 78. I am also fairly sure that he puts me on a big pair and will move to take the pot from me if I show weakness.

Turn($125) K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] I bet $40, Villian calls. At this point I don't like my hand so much, but he still could be drawing.

River($205) 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] I bet $40 Villian pushes for about $175 more. I now think he has a full house or a busted draw, but I don't know which. My action??? Comments on all streets appreciated.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:45 PM

Default Re: Tricky Queens out of position

as played, easy call on the river.

If you really feel he'll take the pot away from you if you act weak, I like a CR all-in on the turn more than the double weak leads on the turn and river as it has a better risk-reward ratio.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:47 PM

bet more on the flop.

bet more on the turn.

bet more on the river, or check-call to induce a bluff.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:55 PM

You forgot bet more preflop.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:59 PM

You invited this by underbetting on every street, particularly the turn and river.

Having done so, I probably call but it is definitely read dependent. I lean toward calling because of the size of the checkraise.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:06 PM

Why in the world would you bet 40 into a $100 pot? You're begging to half it taken away from you but an aggressive opponent. I bet 75 or just pot it. I don't think he's calling you on the flop with just two overcards, so I wouldn't consider the King a scare card (you said he was decent). If he pushes, call. if just calls, I check a blank river to let him bluff a busted draw.

On the river that completes a possible straight draw, you have to consider your opponent. Does he normally call pot-sized (assuming you were making roughly pot-sized bets as I think you should have been) bets with just a draw? Does he slowplay a lot? Being OOP sucks. I'd probably make a blocking bet of about one-half pot (100`ish).

my 2c.
Kirk R.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:08 PM

Yeah, I really f-ed up the turn. I lead weak on the flop because I was pretty sure that if I did he would raise and I was planning on reraising to end the hand. I was definitely not expecting just a call. Then when the king hit on the turn I was wishing I had bet more on the flop. I should have check raised the turn.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:09 PM

I think there's too many possible draws to check the turn.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:25 PM

Sometimes you can tell w/ pretty high % that an opponent will bet - hence the risk is worth it for the CR if that's the read.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:28 PM

Pot the flop, push the turn, according to your read.