Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 03:53 AM

Default Another way to win with pocket pairs

It was a fairly loose table, so I felt if anyone had anything they would bet, unless they had trips or something.

I'm not sure this is good, but I was thinking of replying in the pocket pair post about what Irie was saying. I thought he just meant that you should sometimes be able to win a pot without hitting a set. That could mean a steal, calling a bluff, taking the pot when no one has anything or whatever. It's not like you usually win when you don't hit the set, but you shouldn't always lose.

NL Texas Hold'em $50 Buy-in + $5 Entry Fee Level:2 Blinds(15/30)

Seat 1 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 1: E ( $930 )
Seat 2: D ( $940 )
Seat 3: H ( $1120 )
Seat 4: B ( $975 )
Seat 5: m ( $1955 )
Seat 6: c ( $860 )
Seat 7: r ( $1115 )
Seat 8: n ( $1115 )
Seat 9: i ( $90 )
Seat 10: l ( $900 )
Level:2
Blinds(15/30)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to l [ 3s 3d ]
B folds.
m folds.
c folds.
r folds.
n calls [30].
i folds.
l calls [30].
E folds.
D calls [15].
H checks.
** Dealing Flop ** [ Jc, 4c, 7h ]
D checks.
H checks.
n checks.
l bets [70].
Old 07-29-2005, 06:48 AM

Default Re: Another way to win with pocket pairs

looks fine

without a flush draw I would be more inclined, but as it is I think that its borderline. I'm not sure how much I like your hand for this bet though, you might want to think about trying stuff like this with other hands. Often at the $50s if you get called your pair of 3s will be useless but you will get two free cards (he will just call your position bet because the players are loose passive donks, and then check to you on the turn giving you another card). I would prefer to be holding something like AT here so that I have a better shot to draw out.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:50 AM

I basically don't bet here. Flop is also somewhat coordinated. At least I've never once bet in this type of spot in about 3000 sit and gos.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:41 PM

Default Reply to both Newt and Curtains

I certainly don't always bet here and of course I would like better cards. I may well be fooling myself, but I think I can pick up on when it is more likely to work. It is basically a total bluff, though there is some chance I'm called, it checks down and I win or hit my two outer.

I don't yet keep the kind of data to be able to determine how this kind of bet is actually performing and it would probably take too much data to ever really know, but I think I'm +$EV with it.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:06 PM

Default Re: Reply to both Newt and Curtains

Its okay Im sure I've probably done it too sometime [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I just really dont like bluffing into 3 opponents.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:41 PM

I'd probably bet about half or a little more than half of the pot here, like you did. It seems like the consensus at that point is to check/call down to the river at that point... I think I might pop another half pot bet on the turn if it doesn't complete the Flush and is checked around to me again. Although, reading over what everyone else says, that might be a leak.