Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 12:20 PM

Default QQ with A-T-T flop

15-30 blinds. 10 players left. Hero has 915 chips. SB has 1060. Hero has the button.

Hero has QQ. Folded to the button and hero raises to 120. SB calls and BB folds. Heads up to flop 270 in pot.

Flop is A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB checks and Hero makes continuation bet of 120. SB calls

Pot is 510 to turn. 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB checks.

What's the best move here and why?
Old 07-28-2005, 12:22 PM

Default Re: QQ with A-T-T flop

Check behind. By betting here you will get raised when you are behind and thus forego any chance of improving to be the best hand, which you could by the river if the lovely Q comes. You're basically getting infinite implied odds. You can also then call a bet on the river if it's small enough.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:21 PM

* warning - newbie's first attempt at analysis here *

I would bet at least 200 here on the turn. While it is certainly possible that the SB has an A or a T, I would not be so sure that OP's hand was not the best hand here. I think most of the time, you don't need another Q to be the best hand. I think checking behind makes it much more likely that the SB will take a stab at this pot on the river regardless of his hand.

I find that many times in this type of situation, the SB will call the continuation bet on the flop with KJ or a small pp and fold to a bet on the turn when a blank comes. If SB calls the 200 bet, well, then you don't really know where you are. If he check-raises on the turn or bets big on the river, then you can drop the hand if you think you are beat. But I don't think you should check behind on the turn unless you are trying to induce a bluff that you intend to call on the river.

But then I have a lot to learn and wouldn't be surprised to hear I have it all wrong.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check behind.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-28-2005, 01:26 PM

Is it better to bet on the turn with the idea that he will probably check the river to you?

In your line of play, let's say I check it through and the river is no help. Opponent leads out for $200. Call or don't call, either way it's a tough decision.

If I decide I'm willing to call a small bet on the river if I don't improve, would it be better then to bet the $200 on the turn after he checks to you.

If he raises, you know for certain you are behind and let it go. If he calls and checks the river, it costs the same amount. If he calls and then leads the river, you know he's been slow playing a monster.

Is this viable or am I missing something?
Old 07-28-2005, 01:30 PM

No, it wouldn't. You still lose the $200 either way.

Ok here's a similar example. Hero has A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and raises preflop, get two callers. The flop comes

K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero bets out 2/3rds of pot, and one calls. Turn comes

6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Limper checks again, Hero ?
Old 07-28-2005, 01:41 PM

How is this similar, you have top pair top kicker?
Old 07-28-2005, 01:42 PM

Well how much would you bet on the turn?
Old 07-28-2005, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well how much would you bet on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't, I would check behind, and call a bet on the river unless I make my flush w/o the board pairing (in which case I would raise). And yes I'm just calling if an 3rd king hits.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:45 PM

Not you..! I am sure you've read TPFAP where I hijacked this example from.. it was meant at the OP