Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2005, 12:08 PM

Default Firefox and Proxies

At work, IE is the official browser, but I like Firefox better. The problem is that I get these proxy errors when I try to use FF even though the proxy settings look resonable in the setup. IT can't help since IE is the only browser they can support.

So if I have IE running with proxy servers, how do I configure FF to run on the same servers? (All I see in IE is the Connection S/U, but not the actual proxies, but I do have a proxy server name in the FF field.))
Old 07-27-2005, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Firefox and Proxies

Depends on the setup - it may be impossible. If the proxy servers are using Windows authentication (silently passing your Windows login credentials to the proxy server rather than popping up a username/password box), only IE will work. If the proxies aren't authenticating, then FF will "just work" once you have the proxy address entered.

Disclaimer... it's years since I worked on this stuff!
Old 07-27-2005, 12:42 PM

Just occurred to me after posting that... Firefox must be able to do Windows authentication - it must! Sure enough... it can!
Old 07-27-2005, 05:09 PM

My issues seem more simple - just connecting to the internet - I keep gettng invalid proxy error. Like I said, the proxy server in the FF field looks right. Can I pull the right proxy server from IE settings?
Old 07-27-2005, 06:34 PM

What do you mean by "looks right"? It's either right or wrong... if it's wrong, you won't get any content returned. The only settings you need for a standard proxy server are proxy server address and port to connect to. That is all.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:28 PM

I mean there's not some jibberish in there - the PS address contains the street address of the building I'm in, so it makes sense - i.e. it looks legit.