Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2005, 08:09 PM

Default best way to get familiar with the market?

First of all I'm 18 and going to college to major in economics, I would really like to get a job in an area related to the stock market when I graduate. What is the best way to start to get familiar with the market, trends, how to analyze the market yourself and not rely on reading an article about a hot stock. Its something that intrests me but I dont have a lot of experience or real indept knowledge of how that stock market fluctuates and things like that. So I'm not necessarly looking for books telling me how to invest, because i'm only 18 and dont have the money for that yet. I hope that made sence
Old 07-26-2005, 10:07 PM

Default Re: best way to get familiar with the market?

Learn the basics from a book like "Investing for Dummies" and then read from there. I have always liked the Motley Fool website and their recommendations. I have found their books to be helpful too.

Then read the classic and recommended books you will find in threads below. Reading is the key. In about 6 months time you should be decently informed, and after that, a savvy investor.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:40 PM

I'd also recommend taking advantage of what your university has to offer. I assume you'll be a freshman next year? In addition to majoring in Econ I'd either try and get a minor in finance or do some concentrated work in finance depending on what your school has to offer. Also, check out the school's extracurriculars. A lot of colleges have investing clubs and other types of activities that can compliment your academic foundation. Lastly, make the most of your summers so you get some real experience thrown into the mix. And HAVE FUN! It's hard to beat college.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First of all I'm 18 and going to college to major in economics

[/ QUOTE ]

Have fun the rest of the summer and good luck in your college career! Which college are you attending?

This summer, you should review your college's course guide and understand the core curriculum of courses you'll be required to take.

[ QUOTE ]
I would really like to get a job in an area related to the stock market when I graduate... Its something that intrests me but I dont have a lot of experience...

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you given any thought at this stage to specifically what you would like to do as it relates to the stock market? Why are you leaning toward a stock market related job at this time?

Its likely that your answers will change over time, but it would be helpful in making recommendations, to get some idea of what your thinking and why at this point.

[ QUOTE ]
What is the best way to start to get familiar with the market, trends, how to analyze the market yourself and not rely on reading an article about a hot stock... So I'm not necessarly looking for books telling me how to invest, because i'm only 18 and dont have the money for that yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

To truly understand the markets, you must not only understand the environment that corporations are in (what most econ programs focus on), but also corporations themselves.

Corporations stand on 5 primary legs... Operations, Marketing/Sales, Technology, Finance and Human Resources. Make sure you can diversify your eduction thru prudent use of electives to gain an understanding of all those areas.

For reading, you might start with How the Stock Market Works, or Fundamentals of the Stock Market. These books should give you a basic foundation for how the stock market works, rather than a basic guide to investing in the stock market.

After that, give this book a shot... Applied Equities Analysis - Stock Valuation Techniques for Wall Street Professionals by James English.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:18 AM

Check this reading list out, in roughly the order listed (Random Walk is an absolute must). Bernstein's articles are the goods too, when you get into it.

My $0.02,

@nth
Old 07-27-2005, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Have fun the rest of the summer and good luck in your college career! Which college are you attending?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm going to attend the University of Florida, which has a really good business school.

[ QUOTE ]
This summer, you should review your college's course guide and understand the core curriculum of courses you'll be required to take.

[/ QUOTE ] The courses related the business/economics that I have to take the first year (tracking courses) are micro and macro economics, problem sovling using computer software and survery of calc.

Sophmore year I take intro to financial accounting, statistics, managerial accounting.

The last two years is where it gets really really heavy in econ courses

[ QUOTE ]
Have you given any thought at this stage to specifically what you would like to do as it relates to the stock market? Why are you leaning toward a stock market related job at this time?

[/ QUOTE ]
Things have that intrested me are things like a stockbroker, market analysis, but I'm not fully aware of all the type of jobs that relate to this feild so I know it will change over time.

[ QUOTE ]
Corporations stand on 5 primary legs... Operations, Marketing/Sales, Technology, Finance and Human Resources. Make sure you can diversify your eduction thru prudent use of electives to gain an understanding of all those areas.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yea we have to take courses not only related to econmics but to business in general as well which I think will help with the understanding of that.

Thanks for the recomendations on books
Old 07-27-2005, 01:49 PM

If you are really serious eventually you will be using the New York Institute of Finance. You may want to check it out now to see what they offer so that you may have an idea of what foundation you need to build.