Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2003, 01:46 AM

Default Rumor: Mohegan Sun closing their poker room

I've got no inside source, no hard info, just a rumor that I heard in a couple of places. They say Mohegan Sun here in Connecticut may close down the poker room. This brings up two questions for me.

First, has anyone else heard the rumor? Is there any truth to it?

Second, will this be good or bad for poker in the area? For those that don't know, Mohegan Sun and Foxwoods are less than 10 miles apart, and are the only legal card rooms within hundreds of miles. The Foxwoods room is much bigger and in my opinion better run (although that's not saying much). I think it would be good to have all the poker players in one room, since it should provide better game selection. However, competition is always good for the customer.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this?
Old 03-05-2003, 12:37 AM

Default Re: Rumor: Mohegan Sun closing their poker room

I would be very disappointed to see this happen. Mohegan is about 1/2 hour closer to me than FW (2 hrs v. 2.5). But I doubt it will. Poker room at Mohegan is usually crowded, mostly with low limit games. I think they may have lost the battle with Foxwoods to attract higher limit players.
Old 03-05-2003, 02:47 AM

I think it's a good thing. The two are close enough together that the majority of people shouldn't be affected travel-wise with one or the other closing.

That being said, I think it will do a nice job for game selection with "all players being under one roof". I only play at FW's but I've heard many of the regulars at Mohegan are loose action. If that's the case I definitely want them in the woods [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Leon
Old 03-05-2003, 02:53 AM

U RIGHT, NOT BECAUSE OF LACK OF LOW LI MIT PLYRS.....BECAUSE SLOT MACHINES EARN MORE$$$$$$$$$
Old 03-05-2003, 01:55 PM

If it's taking you an extra half hour from Mohegan to Foxwood, you're going the wrong way. Should be about a 12 minute drive from one to the other.
Old 03-05-2003, 02:09 PM

This is the first I have heard it. I doubt it is true. I hope not, Mohegan is a much nicer room than Foxwoods IMHO. Sure there are more games at the Woods, but I prefer Mohegans Saturday tourny and I like how they will have a lot of 5-10 w? 65 kill. I think that competiton is always healthy.
Old 03-06-2003, 02:52 PM

I've not heard this and I'm a regular at the Sun. There's always plenty of action there. In fact, some folks that normally play 5/10 went to the 3/6 game as there was more action there. Last weekend they had a 300/600 OE game going the whole time.

The Sat. HE tournament is fun, I just wish that FW had their HE tournament on Sun.

I would agree that the room is not really well run, but the dealers, with a few very notable exceptions, are pretty good
Old 03-06-2003, 02:59 PM

Default The one time that I played at the Sun was good

seemed pretty busy, games I was in were good. But that was a while ago.
Old 03-07-2003, 03:08 PM

In a helicopter maybe. Mohegan is exit 76 off I-95 and Foxwoods is 92 and both are about 10 minutes from I-95. Its about a half hour difference going 75.
Old 03-07-2003, 03:11 PM

I agree. I think both would be better off if they had their tournaments so stud players could play in both and HE players could play in both. As for the rumor, i've heard none of it but I haven't been up there in a while. Hope it isn't true. I really like the Sun.