Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2005, 09:05 AM

Default A8s in the sb with some reads.

A strange party .50/$1 table that was oscilating from very tight to very loose. I'm in the sb with A8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Folded around to the CO, (a weak, loose, fit or fold player), who open limps. The button, (calling station who has aggressive tendancies with the wrong type of hands), calls. I raise. The BB is seeing every second flop, not doing much raising preflop, but is extremely aggressive if he has any piece of the board. The BB calls as do the others. Four to the flop for 8sb

Flop; Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet, the BB calls, the CO calls and the Button raises. We all call. Four to the Turn for 8BB

Turn; A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] giving me 2 pair. I check planing to raise a bet from the Button. Instead the BB bets out. CO folds, the button calls, I raise, the BB reraises, the button and I both call. 3 to the river for 17BB

River 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Final board Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I check, the BB bets, the Button calls and I make the overcall.

Thoughts?
Old 07-26-2005, 09:13 AM

Default Re: A8s in the sb with some reads.

It's more likely BB has an ace with an unpaired kicker. Button seems to like putting money into this hand, so give him the opportunity; cap the turn, lead the river. You're ahead of a lot of hands either could be playing here. If BB raises the river I'd slow it down there.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:17 AM

according to your read on bb, I cap the turn and lead the river. I think you are ahead here of an A rag. Plus the button is calling here padding the pot for you.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:19 AM

I'm not sure I understand the pf raise. A8s isn't a great hand and your position sucks. BB is loose so you probably can't steal his blind. Other than that, I like everything else about the hand. (I guess, if I hadn't raised pf, I wouldn't have bet the flop).
Old 07-26-2005, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure I understand the pf raise. A8s isn't a great hand and your position sucks. BB is loose so you probably can't steal his blind. Other than that, I like everything else about the hand. (I guess, if I hadn't raised pf, I wouldn't have bet the flop).

[/ QUOTE ]

I raised preflop because I figured that I had the best hand.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:24 PM

If BB is that aggressive with any piece of the board, then it is possible he just has a lone ace here. I think I would cap the turn, then lead the river, and just call a river raise in case BB hit a str8.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:39 PM

I would reraise the flop, you may be behind, but possibly not with your read on the button, he may be bluffing. you have a backdoor flush draw plus 5 other outs if you are behind. Your reraise will probably knock the other 2 out.

The turn looks good, but im not sure about the river, you say that you are making an overcall, given my understanding of what an overcall is, you are way ahead in a hand and there are people behind you left to act after someone has bet, so you call instead of raise so as not to push people out of the pot. That doesnt look to be the case in your situation as you are closing the action.
Given your read on BB it is quite possible that he has an A with a kicker that isnt paired. I checkraise him or lead the river.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I raised preflop because I figured that I had the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a standard raise from the SB? If you look at pokerstove, 22 wins more often at showdown than A8s but I don't think I would raise 22 from here. Would you raise 22 here also?
Old 07-26-2005, 07:42 PM

An overcall is when a player calls behind the bettor and another caller on the end. "Going for overcalls" is when you only call a bet b/c you don't want to drive out players behind you who will likely fold to your raise, once again on the end.

It doesn't necessarily have to be on the end now that I think about it, but it usually is.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:43 PM

:grunching:
I think its fine. The reads you have lead me to believe you have the best hand. I might have even re-raised the river. I think BB has A x and the Button has something like KQ off. Good hand.