FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Bodog
No Opinion / Neutral / Don't Know 112 74.67%
Unfavorable 18 12.00%
Favorable 20 13.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-25-2005, 03:52 PM

Default Is this stealing?

You purchase a CD, convert the tracks to MP3 and listen to them on your iPod. You sell the CD to a music store that will resell it. You do not delete the MP3s from your computer and iPod.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:53 PM

Default Re: Is this stealing?

It's no better/worse than just downloading the MP3s off the interweb without paying for them. If you call that stealing so is this.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's no better/worse than just downloading the MP3s off the interweb without paying for them. If you call that stealing so is this.

[/ QUOTE ]

...except that you did actually purchase the CD. I don't own an MP3 ir iPod or anyt of those things, and typically I call it theft, but I think gray area on this.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:57 PM

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this but here goes. Copying/downloading music that you don't own is stealing. This is not really any different than buying a 2+2 book, copying every page, selling the book and keeping the copies.
Have I done it? Yes (music & movies). Is it stealing? Yes. Should it be punishable by death like the RIAA wants? No, but don't kid yourself about what it is.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:58 PM

well i assume u r not reselling it for the same purchase price, so u r paying for the songs. and i don't think the record companies really care if u actually listen or just buy it. so i guess they can't really say anything if u decided to sell an item u bought.

but he copied music that he DID own.

ooh, good one.

I believe in the old days that music licensing allowed you to make one copy of music that you owned, for your own personal use. I do not know if reselling the original source cancelled your rights to use the recorded material, back when it was plastic and 8-track tapes.

Have they added such a rule, about loss regarding digital music purchases? Is it considered a license to use, rather than an ownership transfer, similar to computer software programs?

If you license MP3s/digital music, rather than "own" them, I would say that this is theft.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:01 PM

I don't see what the big deal is. New CD's are 14ish, usually stores buy used ones for like 3-5 dollars or some low ass amount. Once you buy a CD, you can rip all the songs and put them on an mp3 player. That is completely legal. Distributing it is not of course.

I don't see how there is anything wrong with this. The record companies still get their money as well.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe in the old days that music licensing allowed you to make one copy of music that you owned, for your own personal use.

[/ QUOTE ] more accurately, it was consider a backup copy of something you purchased. This law is still around and it pertains to CD's.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:03 PM

If I sell my CD to you, and you rip MP3s, then you sell to El Diablo.... and so on and so on...

Is all of this legal? I may have to rethink what service is actually being offered by record companies.