Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 11:55 AM

Default Turbo SNG\'s vs Regular SNG\'s

What type of SNG is more profitable for a skill poker player, do the Turbos just become crap shoots after a while, or is that also part of the skill in learning how to be the turbos effectively. I'm just curious....

P.S. I seem to do better in regular SNG but my sample size is way way too small to come to any valid conclusions.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Turbo SNG\'s vs Regular SNG\'s

Most of us play on PP where there is less postflop play and almost exclusively preflop ABC decisions around the bubble. This is because of the huge blinds/stack ratio. These are easier to mulitable, but the variance is much higher. If your goal is to make money I would multitable the Turbos. If you just wish to improve your play and have fun with less variance, I would play the regular SNGs
Old 07-25-2005, 12:31 PM

I like turbos on stars because they are a compromise.

They have a fast blind structure for your hourly rate and they have deep stacks for your ROI.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:32 PM

The main reason I'm playing on pokerstars is the fact that I have $360 worth of bonus money to clear.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:34 PM

Of course a regular SNG favors a skilled player. More time and more hands to outplay the others.

However....
A skilled player tends to favor the turbo's because you get more $/hr. 40 minutes to win vs 80 minutes.

I suppose a pro can play well at any of them. I favor the regular SNG's at the big stacked/slow blind sites such as UB or PokerStars.

An awareness of the blinds and the ability to adjust your play accordingly are all that it takes to switch from one to the other. Expect higher variance at the short stack/fast blind sites such as Party Poker.

Focus on one class of SNG's until you show some income and then try the others. The main focus of this forum seems to be the Party Poker style SNG. When you post hands from UB or stars please note the buy-in and wether they are turbo or not.

--
tjh
Old 07-25-2005, 12:35 PM

Makes sense that the superior poker player will win more often, the longer the structure is (more chances for the inferior player to make mistakes).

But the turbo's are not entirely a crapshoot, just requires a stronger understanding of push/fold play.

I prefer the Turbo's (and party structure) because they are easier to multitable. The more post-flop play, the more complex the decision-making, and the more important player reads become... which is difficult to do with 12 simultaneous tables.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:35 PM

Experienced players definitely have a bigger edge in the regular tournaments but turbo sng's will allow you to achieve a higher $/hr.

Time = money for me and I hate wasting time beating awful players when I can do it quicker and for more profit in a turbo.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:39 PM

I do agree the turbo on stars are a compromise when comparing the reguarl PP SNG games, maybe I should keep playing those turbos, especially since I'm trying to work off the stars bonus.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do agree the turbo on stars are a compromise when comparing the reguarl PP SNG games, maybe I should keep playing those turbos, especially since I'm trying to work off the stars bonus.

[/ QUOTE ]

Note that the stars turbo structure is MUCH faster than party's structure.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:45 PM

Do the Stars Turbo SNGs run very often? Like could I get 4 $27s running in two or three minutes?