Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 12:21 AM

Default What\'s A Good NL Cash Game Book?

Just like the title says, what's a good NL cash game book? Sorry, I know this question has been answered 1000000 times in this forum but I must not have been searching for the correct terms.

I need work on my preflop play and MAYBE a little postflop work. This week will be slow at work so figure I can stop by B&N during lunch tomorrow and pickup a book.

Thanks,
Iggy!
Old 07-25-2005, 12:30 AM

Default Re: What\'s A Good NL Cash Game Book?

I think HoH would be good, although it is primarily focused on tournaments. It's like always being "in the green zone".

With a grain of salt, though. I'm not a NL cash game player.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think HoH would be good, although it is primarily focused on tournaments. It's like always being "in the green zone".

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read Vol 1 and plan on getting Vol 2 soon, but they are for tournaments and can't exactly use most of the info for cash games.

I suck at tournaments but HOH is a very enjoyable read.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read Vol 1 and plan on getting Vol 2 soon, but they are for tournaments and can't exactly use most of the info for cash games.

I suck at tournaments but HOH is a very enjoyable read.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, all of Volume I translates very well to NL Cash games, you might want to re-read it and re-evaluate your game as you do.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:17 PM

HOH is very good, just keep in mind that you can always rebuy. I also think Ciaffone / Ruban book is excellent -- "Pot Limit and No Limit."
Old 07-26-2005, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, I know this question has been answered 1000000 times in this forum but I must not have been searching for the correct terms.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-26-2005, 02:48 AM

I would tend to agree with what others have said, that HOH1 translates very well to cash games. Besides that I'm not sure there is much out there besides super system.

But dont fret, Sklansky and Miller have a NL cash game book coming out in the fall!!!
Old 07-26-2005, 05:32 AM

Reuben/Ciaffone potlimit&nolimit poker is the best book available in my opinion.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Reuben/Ciaffone potlimit&nolimit poker is the best book available in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:37 AM

There's also a section on NL in Hellmuth's Play Poker Like the Pros, providing a number of examples of strategies one can use, but I get the sense that he's holding back a big on it.

There's the classic section in Super System (1) that is reproduced almost word for word in Super System 2 and Johnny Chan has a short (but useful) section in Play Poker Like Johnny Chan.

These books do not do a great job of providing strategy at lower limits (I'd classify these as below 5-10 no limit). If you expect a wider range of starting hands and expect more players to call pot sized bets facing pot odds of 3:1 or worse then you'll be in better shape. I think you need to make an adjustment in play like that in SSHE, going for more hands with good implied odds and ditching weaker 2 to broadway type hands starting hands. If you play like the books recommend, you'll get creamed at these lower limits because you're not going to get that much value from semi-bluffing. The greater calling station character of the players will neutralize some of the advantage of aggression on your part.

I'm excited about the notion of a Sklansky book on this topic. I think it's long overdue and I'd be very interested in their treatment of no limit's unique issues, particularly given that they have Harrington aboard now.