Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 12:07 AM

Default Online Poker

I have been playing at pokerstars for a while in the play money tournaments. I typically end up in the top 2 or 3 out of 45 most of the time which I thought wasnt too bad. So I thought, well If I consistantly win with the play money I might as well use real money. I started and did fairly well, I made 300% of my money in 4 hours. THen it happened... I did not get above a 10 of any suit in the next 300 hands. I got 2-3 4 times in a row. I would get 6-3, 7-2, and if I got a J I would get a 3. Im not going to accuse them of being rigged but what the hell. I just dont feel that Im getting the same odds as with a real deck of cards. I essentially went tilt off the cliff. what should I do, i love to play, dont have much of a bankroll, etc. I feel I am a pretty strong player but you cant do (*& with those kinds of cards. Is there a better online site?
Old 07-25-2005, 12:57 AM

Default Re: Online Poker

300 hands is not very long to have cold cards, you're obviously playing way above your bankroll.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:13 AM

I call BS. Total selective memory here. You may be running cold, but there's no way in hell you went 300 hands without a single good hand. From Super/System, page 580:

Odds of not holding a Pair or an Ace preflop for 50 straight hands: 87,897 to 1.

Also, if you're just making your jump from play money to real money, think that the site is to blame for your failure to win, and use weaselly double speak like "I'm not saying the site is rigged, but it just *feels* like I'm not getting the same odds as from a real deck of cards" (i.e., the deck is rigged), then you are *not*, repeat, *not* a "pretty strong player." Kick that delusion fast if you want to start improving your game.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:14 AM

Say I want to play with 50 bucks, what should I play.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So I thought, well If I consistantly win with the play money I might as well use real money.

[/ QUOTE ]
Mistake #1

[ QUOTE ]
I made 300% of my money in 4 hours.

[/ QUOTE ]
Mistake #2

[ QUOTE ]
Im not going to accuse them of being rigged but what the hell. I just dont feel that Im getting the same odds as with a real deck of cards.

[/ QUOTE ]
Red flag #1

[ QUOTE ]
I essentially went tilt off the cliff.

[/ QUOTE ]
Mistake #3

[ QUOTE ]
i love to play, dont have much of a bankroll, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
Red flag #2

[ QUOTE ]
I feel I am a pretty strong player but you cant do (*& with those kinds of cards.

[/ QUOTE ]
Reg flag #3

[ QUOTE ]
Is there a better online site?

[/ QUOTE ]
If you want to be certain the cards are truly random, and secure...no, there isn't. Pokerstars is the best.

Pokerstars have very low buy in tournaments, limit and NL. Go play them, they'll be more like the play money tables that you're used to. Don't move up until you have $500 in your account. Search the forums and find out the proper bankroll for each level.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

$.10/.20 fixed limit, or $1 SNGs.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:20 AM

Welcome to 2+2. I look forward to seeing you on the rail.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo
Old 07-25-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I did not get above a 10 of any suit in the next 300 hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I gotta call bullsh*t on this claim.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

$.10/.20 fixed limit, or $1 SNGs.

[/ QUOTE ]

$0.10/$0.20 fixed limit is a good game to play for this bankroll. You can move to the $0.25/$0.50 fixed limit once you have $120 in your bankroll.

I'd advise against the $1 SNGs because the site charges you an exorbitant percentage to play them. A lot charge 20% ($0.20), my site charges 50% ($0.50). This is the case even though rake may be reasonable on normal tables and higher tournaments.