Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2005, 06:00 AM

Default Tourney

Well I have a question. Theres a $40 buy in 20 person tourney about an Hour and a Half from my house tomorrow its gonna be like $20 in gas. I played with one of the kids tonight who was sayin hes only scared of one of the players and this kid sucked. Do you think it would be worth $20 in gas to try and make the money. Top 4 pay. 4th and 3rd get the same and then 2nd should be around $200 and $400 to first. What would you guys do? Does this seem worth it? I dont know any of the players except for 2 which both are pretty bad.
Old 07-23-2005, 06:03 AM

Default Re: Tourney

I think a 50% rake is pretty unbeatable. But if you think its fun playing it might be worth it.
Old 07-23-2005, 07:31 AM

Most places that hold home or club tourneys like this usually provide ring games for people that bust out. If you played a few hours of ring after the tournament (assuming you are better than the average player there, which you shouldn't do just because a bad poker player said he wasn't "scared" of more than one guy), that might make up for some of the cost.

Otherwise, if you're going to gamble with 40 dollars and have to pay 20 for the privilege.....EV wise you can do better staying home and playing online. Unless, as the above poster mentioned, you just wanna go play some live poker. If so, go for it.
Old 07-23-2005, 07:45 AM

I don't think there is anyway this could be more profitable then playing online. You should be getting some entertainment value to make it worth it.
Old 07-23-2005, 02:06 PM

Well I definetly dont think its more profitable than online. I would just like to play a live game. The kid said they always play some side cash games or mini tourneys for those who bust out.