Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2005, 02:30 PM

Default Top pair v aggression

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Villain is Loose aggressive. Am I way to passive here all the way through. Should I be raising on the flop and turn, and reraising? I seem to be losing cash here?

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Villain raising in early position, though I was going to be dominated, should I raise though?

Flop: (12.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP3 calls, Hero calls, Button folds, BB folds.

Turn: (7.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP3 folds, Hero calls.

Once more, Hindsight I'm kicking myself, top pair, decent kicker, should I be raising?

River: (9.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.75 BB
Old 07-22-2005, 02:33 PM

Default Re: Top pair v aggression

i'd 3-bet preflop.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:34 PM

With a light-raising LAG and a bunch of players trapped in the middle, you need to 3-bet pf.

The way it played out, you need to raise either the turn or river. I'd prefer the turn but I think you can still value-bet the river, and that you probably won the hand.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'd 3-bet preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-22-2005, 02:37 PM

LAG, I'm raising him preflop.

Flop, 14.5 SB...I'm getting odds, I call.

Turn, I hit and I'm HU with LAG, I raise.

River, that K sucks. I'd probably just call as he has illustrated he may very well be holding a K.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'd 3-bet preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

After the flop, if he bet into you again would you again reraise, or at this stage would you just call down and reraise the Turn when the Ace hit?
Old 07-22-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i'd 3-bet preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

After the flop, if he bet into you again would you again reraise, or at this stage would you just call down and reraise the Turn when the Ace hit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Call the flop and raise the turn. Continuation-raising doesn't do much with your relative position.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:40 PM

I would 3 bet the lag here pf.

I think the turn call is good.

I would raise the turn, see how utg reacts.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i'd 3-bet preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i would not raise on the flop. i would call.
AQs is good, and we have a BDFD and gutshot to the nuts but right now we have ace-high. i'd probably raise the turn but it would also depend on what the other opponents did.

fyi-to pick a nit, if he bets into us we raise - reraising is equivalent to "3-bet". but i know what you mean. (I don't know why that bothers me).
Old 07-22-2005, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LAG, I'm raising him preflop.

Flop, 14.5 SB...I'm getting odds, I call.

Turn, I hit and I'm HU with LAG, I raise.

River, that K sucks. I'd probably just call as he has illustrated he may very well be holding a K.

[/ QUOTE ]

Textbook, give the man a coconut. Villain had K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I think my big mistake here was not three betting (sorry Tilt) the turn, I could have raised preflop, but I thought I was looking at high pairs / AKs, AQs,AK, poss AQo, all of which I was behind to. The flop played itself, but when that Ace hit, I should have been betting it up.

End result would have been the same though, lost to Trip Kings [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] but was more annoyed at myself not betting that Turn.