Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 10:56 PM

Default solution to the fighting dogs--sucks

I posted a few weels ago about my dogs who suddenly started fighting. Well the situation hasn't gotten any better and they have to be seperated at all times now.

Consequently I will be getting rid of one (Freido) tomorrow. Initially I thought I was ok with this but now it really sucks.

He is going to a great home. A 15 year freind of my parents whose husband suddenly passed away from a massive stroke last week. I don't have any doubts that she will give lots of love and attention. Still it is hard to describe how much this sucks right now
Old 07-21-2005, 11:00 PM

Default Re: solution to the fighting dogs--sucks

Wow, my sympathies. That's awful.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:07 PM

man so sorry to hear this [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img], at least you know where he is and you can still see him though right?
Old 07-21-2005, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
man so sorry to hear this [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img], at least you know where he is and you can still see him though right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes as most importantly if for some reason it doesn't work out I don't have to worry about her dumping him off to the pound or something. This was critically important to me.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:11 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

That sucks, but it sounds like you're making the best of a bad situation.. At least you'll be able to visit. I hope the woman is going to have the energy to give the dog necessary attention, but she could certainly use the companionship. Poor lady too.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes as most importantly if for some reason it doesn't work out I don't have to worry about her dumping him off to the pound or something. This was critically important to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
great choice. good luck.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:14 PM

That sux. My wife's dog just died, we feel your pain. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2005, 11:16 PM

Didn't someone say that it was an unsalvageable situation in the initial thread? Too bad they were right. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2005, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Didn't someone say that it was an unsalvageable situation in the initial thread? Too bad they were right. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah pretty much although I could have taken the chance and let them continue to go at each other but after a couple of times I just couldn't do it. They drew blood on each other everytime and I didn't want to risk serious injury.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:34 PM

Default Professional Help

There are professional dog trainers that can deal with these types of problems. An aquantance of mine married a women a few years back. Both of them had dogs (plural). Within the first week the fights started. The called a pro dog trainer who came in and fixed the problem. No more dog fights.

The solution was the dogs had establshed their social hierarchy but the owners were NOT respecting it. E.g. Petting the beta dog before the alpha dog and feeding the alpha dog last. I'm sure every situation has a different solution but this worked for them.

Also an apartment friend of mine had problems with his dog (howling at night, opening cabinets/refrigerator and eating his food!). He called a trainer, she came by, gave him instructions...problem solved.