Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 12:50 PM

Default live 5-10

I have 88 in mp and limp. couple limpers behind me. flop is J8Q w/ 2 clubs. sb leads out for 50. he does this a lot w/ just about everything. I put him on a queen. bb makes it 150. now, I know he knows that sb does this a lot w/ nothing. bb is relatively new to the table and started the hand w/ ~1100. I cover table.

I smooth call to induce an overcall by sb cuz I thinks he's way behind and I want to build the pot. I put bb on JQ, top two. sb calls.

turn is a 7 club.

sb checks, bb goes all-in for 900. sb looks disgusted. bb looks like he's got a stick up his butt if you know what I mean. he looks pretty confident but I can tell he doesn't like that club. don't ask me how.

now what?
Old 07-18-2005, 01:04 PM

Default Re: live 5-10

You say "he does this a lot with just about anything" and then right after you pigeon hole him on a queen? You also put the BB on a pretty specific hand. What about a flush draw for SB or 9T for the BB? A lot of people will also limp in the blinds with JJ in that spot.

I would raise this on the flop. I also think it is now an easy fold on the turn. However, if you really trust your reads then you can call but I don't see how you can get such specific information.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:09 PM

Make it at least 400 on flop, make later decisions earlier. If you dont think either of them has a draw, like you said, then call.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:30 PM

I don't see how the BB is moving in with anything besides a flush here, unless he is a really bad player. If he had a made hand he had to put one of you guys on a flush draw, so his push doesn't make sense. Unless you have a good read I would fold. In addition, since you say the small blind would do this with anything, the big blind might have been semi bluffing the flop.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:56 PM

I'm also in the camp that would have raised this a significant amount on the flop - like pot+. Your reads have to be balls-on accurate about the SB and BB and also any players behind you not having a good draw to only call here. You're giving the players behind odds - especially if the SB is clearly loose an likely to call as well. Raise the flop, protect your hand in a crowd on a draw-heavy board.

On the turn it looks like the player is getting his money in when he hopes to have the best of it. Either the flush, the straight or a set. I would put two pair as very unlikely here if he's a reasonable player. But then, there's no reads. A real shame. I think you have to fold here for a bet of ~900 into a pot of ~500.

- Jim
Old 07-18-2005, 03:14 PM

Smooth calling is not an option there. There is four flush four straight a possible two pair turned boat. You need to put in a good raise here and protect your hand. As you chose not to folding is the only option here as your running thin....