Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 09:00 PM

Default AQ is an easy fold here right?

hand converter's giving me a script error. this was a tough laydown as I am a chronic overplayer of AQ. good or weak?

am I correct to push over the top of the original raiser had SB folded?

***** Hand History for Game 2369710955 *****
NL Texas Hold'em $5 Buy-in + $1 Entry Fee Trny:13964016 Level:7 Blinds(150/300) - Friday, July 15, 20:47:25 EDT 2005
Table Table 12516 (Real Money)
Seat 1 is the button
Total number of players : 4
Seat 5: Nbraiderfan ( $1025 )
Seat 6: bitterazn ( $2210 )
Seat 9: dhout ( $2430 )
Seat 1: BaldEagle68 ( $2335 )
Trny:13964016 Level:7
Blinds(150/300)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to bitterazn [ Qs Ah ]
dhout folds.
BaldEagle68 raises [600].
Nbraiderfan is all-In [875]
bitterazn ???
Old 07-15-2005, 09:06 PM

Default Re: AQ is an easy fold here right?

Well, I'm relatively inexperienced at this, but attempting to learn fast. I don't think you fold here. Original raiser is raising with a wide array of hands here, short stack is probably looking for any pair, A-high, K8+, QT+ to take a stand with (lotta stuff you beat). I'd push behind SB, you probably scare original raiser out of the hand, you almost certainly have a better chance of knocking out the short stack.

And even if the original raiser calls with a big hand and you both lose, you still started the hand with more chips than short stack, so you still get third. Maybe I'm crazy, but I push this here.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:09 PM

your only other option is to isolate since AQo is too weak against 2 if you think BaldEagle is on a steal. with no read on him I dont know...if he is a chronic stealer, then I isolate - if he's not I fold.

disclaimer: you'll prob get some BS about "players at the 6s blah blah blah pushing with 23o" - my thoughts are general, not so much geared for 6s...I dont play the 6s.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:10 PM

While the initial raiser makes it 600, that's only double the blind. With the SB under so much pressure I can't put him on a hand that's beating you. Earlier in the tourney with more players, easy fold; but here I think you push. I see short stacks making this move with any ace, QJ, KJ, KQ--lots of hands you dominate. However, I'm still worried about what UTG has. If he's been bullying a lot, easy push. If he's been tighter/playing scared, I think you're right to let it go.

So yeah, the SB call doesn't bother me cause he's under pressure to make a move. I think it depends on how many/what hands the initial raiser has been playing. If he's a loose bully, push. If he's been more cautious, his minraise probably represents a serious hand and I wouldn't risk it all on AQ. Sorry if that got confusing. Thoughts?
Old 07-15-2005, 09:10 PM

I'm pushing here also. The initial raiser has enough chips where he can fold comfortably, and the odds are, you are ahead of the all-in player. You can't just call and let the initial raiser in cheap. Put some pressure on him to leave his 600 dead in the pot.

ChewyMint
Old 07-15-2005, 09:11 PM

me? how bout push!. would you call shorties all-in had he opened? looks like a PERFECT opportunity to isolate, and pick up a nice chunk of change...dunno if original raiser could possibly call (read dependant of course).
Old 07-15-2005, 09:56 PM

Original raiser had been fairly tight. I watched him limp AQ, AJs, AK, and QQ all early on in the tournament. He had clearly opened up his game later on though as he had been raising every couple of orbits.

UTG raiser was short but also had been somewhat tightish.

In general, both of them struck me as able to overplay middling hands like AT but tight enough that they're staying away from A7o- and stuff.

Do people really think I can isolate if I pushed over the top? There's a crapload of money in the pot w/ Villain covering me.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:03 PM

And I can't help being results oriented. UTG had ATs and SB had KQo. Flop was KJT.

I cried like a little girl.

I was surprised by the responses though. I thought on a bubble where it's clear someone is short and possibly about to be eliminated, you want to stand clear and avoid any sort of race situations?

What if SB and UTG's chipstacks were reversed? Fold then?
Old 07-15-2005, 10:07 PM

...that's the beauty of your push -- it's irregardless of your read, or his own understanding of his table-image. your telling him "hey buddy, i know your tight, and i respect your game. but i gotta monster here - i HIGHLY suggest you step down". your push is putting HIS tourney on the line at this moment. i think you'd be astonished to see what he would in fact lay down (TT, AK, maybe even JJ). put yourself in his shoes. what hand would you step in the middle of with shortie about to bubble? certainly there is some risk. AA, KK, QQ, etc. aren't going to be folded. [insert smart persons knowledge of total starting hands vs. these hands % info] -- pretty safe to say he ain't got'm. you're standing to pick up a bunch of chips, positioning yourself nicely for a 1st.

Edit: "it's irregardless of your read"...in fact it is more so BECAUSE of your read. i'd be less inclined to try this with a defiant maniac that stands to call you with any two -- thus creating the 'race' you're trying to avoid.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:10 PM

The preferred term is.... "and I cried like Nancy Kerrigan"

Fold or push, I lean towards fold, because I think I play really well on the bubble, and so even if the shortie lasts, I figure I'll do OK.....