Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 02:01 PM

Default Gambling Laws

I am hosting a rather large home tournament tonight and with it being Friday and most people in the age range of 18-20, I suspect the cops are going to make a visit (they'll expect underage drinking probably, which I said that I won't allow). I think we'll have around 60 people with a buy-in of $20 and rebuys allowed, so the pot might be big enough for there to be some kind of a problem.

I planned on collecting the money and keeping it in some sort of a lock box, hidden from sight, but I was wondering if there's anything else I can do.

I'm not taking a rake, there will be no alcohol allowed/provided, and there will be no hookers or no kind of business, just a bunch of people together to play cards. I live in North Carolina. Is there anything else I should do to prepare/protect myself, or is there any way that I can make this completely legal? Thanks.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Gambling Laws

http://www.gambling-law-us.com/State...orth-Carolina/

I googled for this. I didn't read it though.

Hope it helps.

PG
Old 07-15-2005, 02:10 PM

Personally, I think you’re pushing the envelope here. Most states, even though “social” gambling is okay, require the players be 21.

If this is in your home, I think you’re taking a huge risk!
Old 07-15-2005, 02:20 PM

I thought home gambling was illegal in NC, regardless?
Old 07-15-2005, 02:47 PM

Well, to be honest I guess it is illegal pretty much regardless, but I am going to host the game anyway. I have been playing much higher stakes games without worrying about any kind of a penalty. I know that there is some kind of a chance that I'm taking here, but it seems the worst punishment is a class 2 misdemeanor, and that's if convicted and getting the max penalty. I don't plan on allowing the cops into my house if by some chance they do come by (I doubt they'll get a warrant). I was just wondering if there's anything else I could do to avoid any trouble.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:48 PM

60 players is going to draw attention all by itself- that's a lot of cars parked.

Good luck
Old 07-15-2005, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
60 players is going to draw attention all by itself- that's a lot of cars parked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know if this is possible but if it is you could have as many people as possible carpool and tell most people to park a decent distance away from your house. Don't know if there are any good parking places so that it wouldn't be obvious. At least this would make it less obvious and the cops might not notice. Even if they do knock on your door as you said, you won't allow them to enter and it would most likely take them too much time to obtain a warrant. Just make sure the cash is hidden in a decent place in case of the worst.

Good luck,
Jack
Old 07-15-2005, 06:24 PM

Might be too late now, but you could also have 6 10-person tourneys and have the final 6 play at the end - maybe spread out over a few days. Only thing I can think of to keep it low-key with the cars.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:50 PM

While you're at it, on the off chance they do get a warrant, axe the rebuys so you're not having to get the cash box out during the tourney. You want that thing hidden in the hardest possible place to find, not easily accessable for rebuys.
Old 07-16-2005, 03:51 AM

I think the cops have bigger fish to fry than to worry about your little $20 tournament. I have those quite often. The cars parked mean nothing. You could just as well be having a party/playing for fun. Just make sure there is no booze and no hookers or anything. Most importantly make sure there are no sore losers coming that could break hell loose for having their Pocket Rockets cracked by 2-5 offsuit.