Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 03:51 AM

Default prophecy question..

Is there any way that partypoker can know that I visited the pokerprophecy website either during play, or when I'm not logged on to partypoker. I suspect they can while Im playing but that they cannot while Im logged off. Is this correct?
Old 07-13-2005, 04:05 AM

Default Re: prophecy question..

You may get a better answer in the internet forum but I believe that they can take a screenshot while you are playing of your computer.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:06 AM

but note that looking at their website does not violate their T+Cs so you have no need to worry.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:02 AM

a screenshot of their app or of the whole desktop? I'm skeptical that's possible. What applications do this already, or are you suggesting that this is done through some hackery by Party?
Old 07-13-2005, 06:28 AM

Its very straightforward for any application to take a screenshot of your desktop, should the developer be inclined.

Party could also detect that you had visited Prophecy if they really wanted to. But I can't honestly see why they would want to? Especially when they seem unwilling to prevent Prophecy mining the data in the first place.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Its very straightforward for any application to take a screenshot of your desktop, should the developer be inclined.

Party could also detect that you had visited Prophecy if they really wanted to. But I can't honestly see why they would want to? Especially when they seem unwilling to prevent Prophecy mining the data in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's extremely unlikely they are going to take screenshots of your desktop or other such nonsense. How are they going to parse the data? By hand? No.

It's expotentially more likely they are searching for a specific executable or process, either in known directories on your harddrive or in your currently running process list. This is how most of these detection programs work.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:07 AM

I just went to the Prophecy site and it says on the front page that using the website isn't flagged.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's extremely unlikely they are going to take screenshots of your desktop or other such nonsense. How are they going to parse the data? By hand? No.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its likelihood is 100%. They do it all the time.

Usually it is a followup to having an automated process scan return a red flag, then they want to take a further look, so they snapshot the screen.

Many, many people have found copies of screenshots in their Party folder after receiving warning emails. I think they go in the Temp folder when Party takes them.

eastbay
Old 07-13-2005, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just went to the Prophecy site and it says on the front page that using the website isn't flagged.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yet.

They can and do flag based on web site visits. I remember this from when winhold'em came out.

I think once they figure out that Prophecy works both with an app on your desktop and trhough web browsers, they will add the web site to their ban list.

eastbay
Old 07-13-2005, 10:52 AM

I don't even have a temp folder in my Party folder.