Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 10:17 PM

Default HST, Philosophy, and the beau idéal

Hunter Thomspon is having his ashes blown out of a cannon. Last Hurrah

From the Article:

ASPEN, Colo. - Friends and family of gonzo journalist Hunter S. Thompson are preparing to pepper the sky with the late writer's ashes. His cremated remains will be shot into the air Aug. 20 from a cannon installed on a 150-foot-high tower behind his home in Woody Creek.

The 67-year-old Thompson, who had been in failing health, shot himself at his home on Feb. 20 after a long and flamboyant career.

Johnny Depp, a close friend of Thompson's, has hired a Beverly Hills, Calif., events planner to oversee the event, which will be closed to the public.

"Hunter meant a lot to me. He was another hero and someone that I got to know very well because I played him in `Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.' We got very, very close," Depp said in a recent interview with AP Television News.

"He was a great pal, one of my best friends. We had talked a couple of times about his last wishes to be shot out of a cannon of his own design. ... All I'm doing is trying to make sure his last wish comes true. I just want to send my pal out the way he wants to go out," the 42-year-old actor said in the interview.

Anita Thompson, the writer's widow, said a public commemoration of Thompson will be held later.

A worthy subject to discuss, especially in a philosophy forum. So get started. Just to say one thing right off, it's a great stunt - among other things.

Le Misanthrope
Old 07-11-2005, 11:21 PM

Default Re: HST, Philosophy, and the beau idéal

I have instructed my family to, upon my death, dispose of my body in the cheapest and most convenient method. I presume that this will be to just straight up give me to a med school. Elaborate and costly last wishes are nonsensical.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:48 PM

Having spent my time in gross anatomy dissecting cadavers I respect your decision to donate your body to 'science'.

Respect is certainly paid to you for your future and hopefully longtime coming donation.

That being said, I would never donate my corpse to some first year medical students to butcher.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Elaborate and costly last wishes are nonsensical.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

I have a copy of my parents will and they both wish to be cremated. I assume the body burners will ask me, since I'm the executor of the estate, what to do with the ashes. An interesting question that I ponder on occasion. I have yet to make any firm decision.

H.L. Mencken relates an amusing day he spent with Ambrose Bierce when they both attend the cremation service for a literary critic. Bierce suggested to Mencken that the ashes of the critic be molded into bullets and shot at publishers. If you do not see the overall wisdom and good sense in this suggestion then you have let too much philosophy rob you of what makes life worthwhile.

-Zeno
Old 07-12-2005, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Elaborate and costly last wishes are nonsensical.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

I have a copy of my parents will and they both wish to be cremated. I assume the body burners will ask me, since I'm the executor of the estate, what to do with the ashes. An interesting question that I ponder on occasion. I have yet to make any firm decision.

H.L. Mencken relates an amusing day he spent with Ambrose Bierce when they both attend the cremation service for a literary critic. Bierce suggested to Mencken that the ashes of the critic be molded into bullets and shot at publishers. If you do not see the overall wisdom and good sense in this suggestion then you have let too much philosophy rob you of what makes life worthwhile.

-Zeno

[/ QUOTE ]

You have made my point for me.

Live life to the fullest until it ends.

There can be nothing more worthwhile than that.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:23 AM

Default Comeback

[ QUOTE ]
I would never donate my corpse to some first year medical students to butcher.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not?

You realize that, after you die, your corpse is as relevant to your extinct consciousness/being as a dead lizard in Paraguay, don't you?
Old 07-12-2005, 03:24 AM

I don't see what's open for discussion. If this is what he wanted, then I think doing anything else would be wrong.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:35 AM

Default Where would Hunter S. Thompson be without Doonesbury?

I liked Dr Gonzo's demented writing a lot. And I like the idea of that loose cannon of a writer getting his last hurrah out of a cannon!

But G. B. Trudeau was merciless (and pretty much accurate) in his portrait of Uncle Duke.

Old 07-12-2005, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see what's open for discussion. If this is what he wanted, then I think doing anything else would be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

He wanted it. He no longer does.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:37 PM

You missed it. Elaborate and costly last wishes ARE part of what makes life worthwhile. And you can enjoy them in anticipation, if not in actual fact. HST enjoyed having his ashes being shot out of a cannon, a million times. It hasn't happened yet but HST’s planning the act and musing about it certainly helped him in living to the fullest and most worthwhile. So you see it is not nonsensical.

Let's say, just for amusement, that I have the resources and legal means to make a number of last wishes, for example:

Having 100 cow’s asses tattooed with 'Moses was an Egyptian" and then set lose to room the crags about Mt Sinai before having them paraded, 50 in front and 50 in back, of my coffin which is being carried on the shoulders of a bevy of beautiful semi-nude Las Vegas Show Girls that march my frozen corpse about the mountain for 40 days and 40 nights while 69 midgets blow on trumpets and then my frozen head is cut from my corpse, placed in a giant handmade slingshot and lofted over the mountain while fireworks burst in the sky, and then all the cows are sacrificed and burned to the God Osiris, along with my headless body, on a giant funeral pyre while the Show Girls and Midgets read aloud from the Tibet book of the Dead.

There is nothing nonsensical about any of the above. I have noted with bemused detachment your frequent posts teetering about on the margins of sanity and reasonableness, like some drunken sybarite with good intentions. Someday you will wise up, I hope.

-Zeno