Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2003, 02:32 PM

Default observations from jackpot games

a while back, california started offering mega-sized jackpots again, and I think the games have changed because of it.

Normally, I play in the 15 HE game at one cardroom. Here, the jackpot size is capped at a moderate amount, and the game's style hasn't changed much.
I recently went to another room where the jackpot size isn't capped. I played in the 9-18 there and, where it once was pretty ram and jam, the game turned out to be a huge game of showdown. The game was very loose and very passive, with people unwilling to (I assume) raise out any potential jackpot qualifiers.

anyone else experience this "holdem with a lobotomy" type games when big jackpots are available?
Old 02-13-2003, 04:02 PM

Default Re: observations from jackpot games

The strange thing is, a lot of the hands that are going to qualify for a jackpot, are going to play anyway, so you probably should just play poker, and see what happens.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.
Old 02-13-2003, 04:17 PM

Default Re: observations from jackpot games

I don't mind the change, and I don't change my game beyond the necessary strategy changes need in a passive game vs. an aggressive one. I just thought it was interesting that the speed freaks that used to populate the table are now compliant puppies.