Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2005, 03:55 PM

Default When to stop in cash games...

This may be the wrong place to ask such a question, but I have a question regarding winnings in a single session of a live cash game.

Does anyone have a formula for when they think it would be best to "cash out" and take what you've won? Or not even a formula, maybe more like a strategy or a specific point (maybe 6 times the amount of chips you started with or something like that).

Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks.

The_Missile
Old 07-09-2005, 03:59 PM

Default Re: When to stop in cash games...

Theoretically, never.

Practically, it depends. Are you tired? Distracted? Pissed off? Horny for the cocktail waitress to the point it's distracting from yr game? Tilting from having yr Aces cracked?

As long as the game is good and there are no other extraneous factors, you would keep playing forever no matter how much you had won or lost up to that point.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:00 PM

When you're no longer one of the two or three best players at the table, dinner time, or bed time, whichever comes first.
Old 07-09-2005, 05:21 PM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

Greg J, said it already, but in general

If you have an edge you should never get up.
If you do not have an edge you should never sit down.
If the game goes bad you should leave or (if available) change games.

So, gee that's real helpfull huh? What you'll notice is not said is, if your up quit, and if your down stay until your even. Those are just traps that lead to some very bad things, so here is how I handle my live play, and it is just that I have a set time that I am going to play for. Most days it's 8 hours though I reserve the right to extend that time based on game conditions and a few other items. I generally don't go much past 10 hours, and it is a very rare occasion that I hit 12 hours(I took a jackpot late and had to stick around for payment). Once I feel that I am not at my best I leave, down 3 racks, up 3 or somewhere in between.
Old 07-09-2005, 05:37 PM

Yeah, I quit when I'm broke.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:08 PM

In order of importance:
1) When the game is no longer good.
2) When you are no longer able to play your best game.

If the game tightens up significantly, the donators/fish leave, and it's no longer profitable, get up.

If you are hungry, tired, tilting, etc., get up. You are no longer playing your A-game. Fix the problem, then come back. There will always be games.

I say that the game is more important than yourself because often, you will be in a game so juicy that it's worth going a little while longer without food, or putting off bed for another hour. Just try not to take it too far. If your play suffers too much, it won't matter how juicy the game is, as you won't be able to benefit from it.

I know that when I started playing, I hated getting up from the table. I once sat at the same table (live) for 22 hours. Because I didn't want to get up. I wasn't falling asleep at the table, but the game wasn't particularly special either. But I was relatively new to taking playing seriously, and I had not yet gained the insight of, "There will always be another game." The next phase was, "Ok, I'm hungry, I'll get up and go. Oh, but I'm down... well, let me try to get back to even." Now, it's all one big session, and if I'm hungry, I eat.

The abridged version? Stay as long as the game is profitable, and leave when it's not, taking into consideration any variables affecting your own quality of play.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:46 PM

I'm down 110 BB's today, don't fell like I'm playing bad. I know I'm getting run down and have had monster hands that turn into loosers. Charge on, or take a nap and fight another day.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:04 AM

When you no longer think to yourself "Wow, what a table full of donks."

When the game isn't good enough this is obvious. When you are too tired or distracted to play much longer, you'll be frustrated by bad beats and not appreciating the donks, also making it time to leave.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:25 AM

Yeah, when I am no longer the best of two players I get up and leave. But I also find a few other things helpful.

When you are in a "tempo," and that tempo is upset by many many conditions, such as the "great players" getting up. These are the ones who think they are good, wear sunny-g's, and are so easy to read because they play strictly by the book.

I also get up when there are two or maniacs at the table, also, when one maniac is within three seats of your left. you are in deep trouble.

If all the passive people start playing aggressively.

For God knows what reason, the pots are all of a sudden SMALL.

I don't know what else aside the obvious. I personally treat poker like a job, I expect to work X hours, and expect Y money, following the above should help keep Y over minumum wage.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I also get up when there are two or maniacs at the table,

[/ QUOTE ]

why in the world would you leave?