Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2005, 12:01 AM

Default Overpair facing pair on board

Hello everyone! I just started playing limit holdem seriously and I am working to build up my bankroll. Anyways, this is one hand I was wondering about, because when the BB 3 bets on the flop I'm wondering if I should have folded. I'm wondering, should I call down just in case because the pot is large (20+ SB when I call)? And I think it would have been better to not bet on the turn now also. Thanks!

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, SB calls $0.08 (All-In), <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (11.30 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players, 1 all-in)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls.

River: (15.30 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 17.30 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
SB has 6c 9c (two pair, sevens and sixes).
BB has 8h 7h (three of a kind, sevens).
Hero has Kc Ks (two pair, kings and sevens).
Outcome: BB wins 17.30 BB. </font>
Old 07-09-2005, 04:33 AM

Default Re: Overpair facing pair on board

I don't know that I would have folded, but given that he check-reraised the flop, I certainly wouldn't have let him checkraise again on the turn.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:40 AM

Hi Cardinalsfan

I like your play here you just ran into a guy getting lucky on the flop. After he 3 bet the flop I think I would not bet the turn unless you cap the flop action. There is no way that 2 on the turn helped anyones hand.

So either cap the flop action and bet the turn. Or call the 3 bet on the flop and check/call the turn and river for one bet UI.

I could be wrong I normally am. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Also don't post the results as it can affect the replies you get. You will get more replies for this one now that I have supplied a incorrect answer. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 07-09-2005, 05:04 AM

Honestly, with a decent read on BB, I bet the turn and fold to a raise. That said, I don't hate the way BB played his hand. He's getting pretty good odds to call one bet.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:55 AM

i'd probably fold to the turn c/r and find something to break.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:57 PM

I would have played the same way. The 77 flop is scary like hell, but someone that had connected with the q or where on a flush draw would have played it the same way.

Turn &gt;&gt;&gt; Bet out is fine, IMO itīs not that often you are checkraised on these limits. Continuing or folding are hard a hard call. But when itīs close in big pots i tend to call down.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:10 PM

the fact that he c/r a 3-bet tells me he's got something pretty big, and on this board it's almost gotta be a 7 or QQ. the turn c/r confirms it. fold and start the cursing.
Old 07-09-2005, 06:25 PM

I noticed that tip about the results after I posted and thought about editing it, but I was like, eh it'll be okay just once [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Anyways, after looking at some of these replies I think even for the game I'm playing I should have folded at the first check raise, unless of course I have a read that the guy check raises top pair. But almost no one would do that, I think, without QQ or a 7. Granted the opposition is not good, and the pot was rather large, but I don't see how I could have had any chance to have been ahead in that hand. Anyone disagree for any reason? Let me know if I'm wrong here. Thanks for the help!
Old 07-09-2005, 08:29 PM

i wouldn't fold to the first c/r only because this would be an aggressive flush draw, which is what he made the turn to look like.

his 2nd c/r is where i think he shows his hand easily.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:20 PM

I don't bet out the turn here. I check and call a bet. However since you bet the turn, I would fold the reraise. BB is likely to have a 7 since he's seeing the flop for cheap, with great odds. Unless you have a read on BB that tells you otherwise, call the flop, check/call turn.

I don't know what I'd do at river. I would end up calling but that is definitely spewing.