Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2003, 02:30 PM

Default playing the tourist in vegas?

i'll be in vegas this weekened. i plan on playing poker a few times... mostly for fun, since i won't really have the time to get into it to much. discussing with friends and acquantences, i thought it'd be fun to pretend like i'm a complete tourist. ask dumb questions. ask if i'm allowed to raise. string bet. be the obnoxious punk kid, the rocks in my game generally get annoyed with.

i just think it'd be fun to try, but i've been thinking whether there is any benefit in doing this. i play a pretty tight aggressive game, but i'd probably have to change it up a bit.

either they'll see me as a complete fish and give me all the action i can ask for cause they don't think i'll know anything.

or, i'll be able to bluff a lot or buy free cards for nothing. example, if i'm in late position. and someone bets into me, i can call and the try to string raise. they won't let me, but a player will look at that as a show of strenght and check on the next hand.

i'm not trying to hustle, i've always been into personal socialogical expirements and observations on human nature. and would like to see how this effects people.

is this unethical to pull moves like this? is it worth doing? anyone see any benefits to this?

just curious. thanks.
Old 02-11-2003, 04:46 PM

Default Re: playing the tourist in vegas?

Might be fun to try for a goof, but my (limited) experience is that the regulars will see through it based on your play pretty fast.

I also think an intentionally disallowed string raise is beyond playing the part and strays into being a bit of an angle shoot. Maybe that's just me though.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:31 PM

Its totally bush league what you are thinking of doing. You shouldnt have to try to angle shoot and pull stunts like this if you are a decent player.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:49 PM

The only ones you will be fool are people whom you already have an edge against.

That doesn't mean it won't be fun to do. I just doubt that you'll gain any extra EV for your efforts.
Old 02-11-2003, 06:37 PM

as i said it's mostly for fun.

to be honest it's more of a challenge just to see if i can hold up an sort of facade. it'll be tough cause i have the nasty habit of shuffling chips.

my friends don't think i can stop doing this at the poker table, and they're probably right, so it's sort of a test on myself.

i was just wondering if there was any edge to any of this.
Old 02-11-2003, 09:04 PM

I spoke with my wife recently about having her take a flyer someday in the top section at Bellagio. We'd have to have some cash to burn, but I'd love to put her in a tough game, maybe 75-150 stud or something, after she's had a few. If she can catch a couple hands it could be really hilarious. I told her if she won a big pot to open her purse, start raking chips in and laugh and say "I can go shopping now." just to see what happens. You have to know how she gets a gleam in her eye when shopping is mentioned to really appreciate this stunt. There won't be any positive ev tho. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2003, 09:11 PM

Women, shopping, booze, and gambling winnings are a dangerous,dangerous recipie my friend.
Old 02-11-2003, 09:57 PM

It's not just women. My father was recently cleaning out his closet and brought over a sweater for my son. He bought it after a big night at the craps table many years ago at the Riviera. I can only assume he was twelve sheets to the wind. If he wore that sweater and walked into a room with Osama Bin Laden, people would say, "There's Andy's dad wearing that awful sweater."
Old 02-11-2003, 10:08 PM

I play with fire baby! [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-12-2003, 01:19 AM

Yes, HDPM, play with fire and get burnt. To the poster who wants to attempt a sting raise vs. the local pros, I say "bring it". Babe [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]