Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 10:58 AM

Default WANNA GO PRO, here\'s what you GOTTA know!

Ok, Ok, yes good ole' ATE knows you've been watching television lately. I know that you see the "pro's" on TV, and think you might wanna be one. Maybe you're ahead, after a few months playin' internet poker. You dream of quittin' you're boring job, and traveling around the world, earning your fair share of the poker riches.

Well, here's a dose of reality, ATE style!

The first thing you must understand is this:

MOST OF THE PEOPLE WHO SAY THEY ARE 'PROS" . . . . are NOT!

They are fake pros, wanna-be pros. Maybe they got an inheritance, maybe they got lucky and won a big tournament.

Now, they are playing on their lump-sum money, dreaming the dream . . but not really living the life!

Oh, ATE no say that there are NO professionals . . . just that most who claim to be, are NOT!

The first thing all you readers on this site, must understand and accept, if you are to succeed in poker is this: ATE has been around longer than you, and has had a much broader experience in poker, than even those with twice my years in the game. I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT I"M TALKING ABOUT. This is one of the gaurantees you get, for being an ATE reader. If there is something I don't know, I won't comment. I don't get my information, from %&#@$%&@$%&@$&king BOOKS, or from other people. I've been there, played that. And, been there, DEALT THAT.

Ok, now that we've got that out of the way, let's continue.

All of the REAL professionals ATE has known, had some sort of major edge! and I mean MAJOR! Either they started out with huge, huge bankrolls, or had other income coming in, were VERY talanted, VERY tough . . or a combination of most or all of those.

Understand that professional poker, is a TOUGH, gritty, miserable life, and only the VERY toughest, can survive, and thrive.

Let's talk a little about bankroll, shall we. Ok, if you are thinking of cashing in that 6,000 T-bill you have, and making 60,000 a year as a 10-20 player, WAIT! STOP! You've been listening to the WRONG people!

ATE does not know who was the first to say that you need a bankroll of "300 big bets" to survive in a game .. . . . But whoever is what: I am calling you an IDIOT and a LIAR, right to your face! My God, folks, if you want to hate ATE
s guts . . FINE! but DON"T try it, with only "300 big bets"

You may make it for a short while, but when the bad beats start, and the sudden unforeseen expenses start eating your bankroll . . . ..

Why don't you try at LEAST 900 big bets, AND extra money in reserve, AND several months living expenses . . Then you MIGHT make it.

Poker is now the world's best part-time business, but the HARDEST full-time job.

Here's the next issue: How readily can you get your job back, or an equivalent job? Will you suffer loss of seniority, or vested pension, or other consequences?

This is very critical. If you're a waiter, at "restaurant X" , and can easily get a new job at another place, you would be more inclined to try yourself as a professional poker player, than say if you were a cop with 14 years in, and would lose all that time toward your pension, if you quit.

GET THE POINT! Ok, I sure hope so, because this issue, is even more important, than having a big enough bankroll.

Next, we find that the issue of having OTHER income coming in, OTHER than your poker winnings, is TRES important, if you are considering "becomeing a pro"

The most common source, is SPOUSES JOB! (and that's the case, too, with the FAKE PROS.

Interest income, retirement, WHATEVER! if your biggest bills are paid from other income, your chances of poker success, are many many times greater.

Or, you can just have a HUGE (and ATE does Mean HUGE) bankroll.

ATE knows someone, who shall remain nameless. This guy is one of the toughest players in the world.

He started playing 10-20 through 30-60, about 13 years ago.

Made around 125 grand, the first five years. Then, he moved up, moved up, and Well, now he has a house in one of the RICH FOLKS neighborhoods, near Las Vegas. Only a mile away, from Roy Cook's house.

Well, anyway the thing is: He started with 400, yes FOUR HUNDRED THOUSAND dollars, when the absolute biggest game he would play, was 50-100. And, his usual game, was 20-40 or 30-60.

That's around 10,000 big bets, friends. If he was not catching any cards, he'd just take time off, knowing that his monthly nut of 4500, was not going to make a dent, in his bankroll. Once, for about two months, he went back to dealing poker, having made a great deal in his wage.

He made over 350 a night, and after two months, went back to the game. That was ten years ago, and he hasn't had to go back to "work" since. Now, he has largely moved on to other, better things than poker, but can still be found in the big games at Bellagio.

The point is: Not only is this guy the NUTS in poker, but he was VERY well-financed.

and, oh YEAH, he was the recepient of ATE training, for which he's thanked me greatly.

Well, I hope this gives you a look at the realities of pro poker. If you do try it, I hope you'll consider what I've told you.

Adam, the helpful genius
Old 07-07-2005, 11:00 AM

Default Re: WANNA GO PRO, here\'s what you GOTTA know!

you should write a book
Old 07-07-2005, 11:10 AM

Dear Adam,

You're a dick.

Matt
Old 07-07-2005, 11:12 AM

IM a pro. My bankroll is 50$ and i play the .01/.02 tables and win about 50 cents a day.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:16 AM

This is a horrible attempt at a gimmick account.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:27 AM

May I suggest, that you know what you're talking about, BEFORE you make some dumb-bass (minus "b") comment.

What in the hell, is a "gimmick account" Beats me! I wan'ts even aware that I HAD an "account"

I've only been giving the best and most accurate poker advice in the WORLD (and the history of the world) for two years now. ATE has loyal fans, all over the FREAKIN' World, you @#$^@%^@%^ NINNY! I've been quoted by famous players, and even those who cannot stand me, acknowledge my mastery (especially in omaha)

I've been paid, to fly to other countries, to teach poker

I've helped one student, become a MILLIONAIR THE HARD WAY!

(not by just gettin' lucky and winning one tournament)

My God! is this whole site, nothing but spoiled BRATTY boys, without the intelligence or poker knowledge to know a GENIUS, when they see it.?

Seems that way. Look, BUB, ATE has had my own sections, on other sites. Fans are BEGGIN' for books.

If you think ATE is some "gimmick" then you do NOT know poker, and I'd suggest that you LEARN!

Maybe you don't like the style, FINE! Maybe you don't like my blatent disregard for spelling, FINE!

But don't you DARE pluckin' say, that ATE do'nt know his stuff.

I don't have an "account" and I am NOT a "gimmick"

All I do, is give you BETTER advice, for FREE, than you would pay 25-35 bucks a book, to BUY.

So, let keep our faces SHUT, about the negative comments, or I will NOT give you any good information.

There are plenty of sites, where 2/3'rds of the readers, WORSHIP me, and appreciate what I do to help people.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a horrible attempt at a gimmick account.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-07-2005, 11:30 AM

Actually, I've written three. Plus one partial, that was thrown out by a crazy roomate.

But, of course those were written, ONLY for the person who bought them.

The writing and distribution of quality poker books, has largely KILLED poker. Well, maybe not KILLED, but HURT, and BADLY!

Yes, I have been begged to write (publicly available) books, by those who KNOW that ATE is the top MASTER!

but, I'm too old, to broken-down, to actually do it.

ADAM, THE HELPFUL GENIUS
Old 07-07-2005, 11:36 AM

You know, when Archimedes was talking about standing on the moon with a big lever and moving the earth, I'm sure that was the biggest tool he could dream of.

It's a good thing he's dead now--it sucks having your dreams dwarfed by someone else's reality.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ADAM, THE COCKY TURD

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP