Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 10:45 AM

Default JJ for 2/3 my stack?

Ok actually this came from a MTT but it was at the final 2 tables.

Hero has 90,000
Villan has 60,000
average stack size 120,000
Blinds 3k/6k

Hero is MP with JJ raises to 12000
folds around

Villan in LP raises all in for 64,000..

Hero Calls ...I'm thinking that with ~15BB I'm going to have to push soon and JJ is prolly a good hand to do it with. actual results in white.....

<font color="white"> I called and he had A9o...spikes an Ace and I'm crippled </font>
Old 07-07-2005, 10:53 AM

Default Re: JJ for 2/3 my stack?

This is so situational it's not even funny.

When do the blinds go up, and what do they go to?

More importantly, what's the read on the guy? I imagine you've got some idea of how tight he's been playing...so you would know if he does this with a smaller pair, or perhaps only with an overpair.

I disagree that you need to start pushing with 15 BB. Average stack is only 20. I hate calling huge raises with jacks, simply because you run into an overpair a lot more often than an underpair, and it's a coin flip most of the time anyway. Bottom line, you gotta get lucky and hope he has an underpair.

Also I think you should make a real raise that says you're serious about your hand. I'm coming over the top of a lot of MP min-raises too. But I suck at poker...
Old 07-07-2005, 10:55 AM

this is a pretty obvious call, imo. if he's uber-tight and is doing this with only QQ+/AK, you still have close to the odds you need. if you add in TT and AQ, which will raise here 90+% of the time (and 77+ / AT+ will also sometimes) it gets pretty clear.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:06 AM

Don't put in a wussy raise. You have a solid hand and nobody's stack is deep enough that playing fancy is worthwhile.

Call the all-in.
1.) you're very likely racing, but you have a huge overlay (52k to you with 85k in the pot)
2.) there's a chance you'll be dominated but I think a greater chance you're dominating (for better or worse your wussy raise invites weaker hands to come over the top)
3.) losing will still leave you with 5xBB