Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 10:39 AM

Default Q About War of the Worlds

Alright, what in the hell killed the machines? I saw like half of the original, but not the ending, and I didn't read about it. The ending came very abruptly in the remake. I don't get how tanks, bazookas and crap won't kill them. Nukes and crap won't do anything, they have shields and stuff like that, but at the end they hit them with a missle and it dies? Did the shield go town or something? And why'd the machines die? Thanks.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:41 AM

Default Re: Q About War of the Worlds

[ QUOTE ]
Alright, what in the hell killed the machines? I saw like half of the original, but not the ending, and I didn't read about it. The ending came very abruptly in the remake. I don't get how tanks, bazookas and crap won't kill them. Nukes and crap won't do anything, they have shields and stuff like that, but at the end they hit them with a missle and it dies? Did the shield go town or something? And why'd the machines die? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]
I haven't seen the movie, but I know the ending follows closely to the book. Bacteria.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:43 AM

They'd been planning this out for millions of years, before mankind was on this planet, and bacteria kills them? They have invisible shields that can withstand our firepower, but not bacteria? Excellent. Someone elaborate.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:43 AM

spoiler alert!!!!!

Just saw it last night. They had no immune system to our air, water etc. which humans had developed over a million years. As Morgan Freeman said at the end, they were doomed from the minute they set foot on the planet. Perhaps they didn't get affected by the bacteria until they sent the little creatures out of the ships to roam around??
Old 07-07-2005, 10:47 AM

Heh, my version cut off right as Morgan said 'they were doomed' comment. Overall the movie was pretty cool.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They'd been planning this out for millions of years, before mankind was on this planet, and bacteria kills them? They have invisible shields that can withstand our firepower, but not bacteria? Excellent. Someone elaborate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not much to elaborate on. In the original H.G. Wells story, the machines die from the flu. And that's pretty much that.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:52 AM

My take on it was that maybe they had resistance to whatever bugs were present millions of years ago when they initially buried their machines on Earth. Maybe their own planet didn't have evolving eco-systems the same way Earth does, so they never planned on that particular part of the invasion. Perhaps their own civilization had gotten too caught up in technological superiority and thus neglected the biological side of things. Not saying it's the most believable plot ever, but it's a sci-fi movie, so it didn't bother me.
Swede
Old 07-07-2005, 10:55 AM

Interesting.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just saw it last night. They had no immune system to our air, water etc. which humans had developed over a million years. As Morgan Freeman said at the end, they were doomed from the minute they set foot on the planet. Perhaps they didn't get affected by the bacteria until they sent the little creatures out of the ships to roam around??

[/ QUOTE ]

and then for some reason the bacteria caused the shields on their mechanical tripods to stop working. one of the many things that sucked about that movie.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:22 AM

Perhaps their tripods were piloted through Telepathic means, and once the aliens started dying their machines malfunctioned. Maybe the machines were semi-organic and caught the bug just like the aliens.

Swede