Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2005, 05:21 PM

Default Simultaneous door-pairing

Say you complete the bring in from middle position with the highest door card with a hand like (K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img])T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and get called by the 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. On fourth, both of you pair your door cards. You bet and he calls. On fifth, you both catch blanks. Your action?
Old 07-06-2005, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Simultaneous door-pairing

need more information. Did you double bet 4th? This is where your read is important. Generally, I fire again on 5th and then hit the breaks if I don't improve.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Say you complete the bring in from middle position with the highest door card with a hand like (K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img])T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and get called by the 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. On fourth, both of you pair your door cards. You bet and he calls. On fifth, you both catch blanks. Your action?

[/ QUOTE ]

Check/ fold. I also don't play the hand that way on third.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:10 AM

Reminds me of a fun hand where I attempted to steal and it didn't work out too well....

Old 07-07-2005, 12:43 AM

Don't play that way on third? Are you saying you fold this? Limp in?

I'm confused...With the highest up card, live cards, and a decent chance to win the antes/bring-in, I think this is an easy completion.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
need more information. Did you double bet 4th? This is where your read is important. Generally, I fire again on 5th and then hit the breaks if I don't improve.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, double bet.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:33 AM

If I have any respect for the guy at all, I check and fold. Some guys will take one off with garbage on fourth street, and against these guys, I might fire one more barrel.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:36 AM

At least you were spared from throwing anymore money after this dog. Don't attempt steals after someone has already limped. AQ is a hold'em hand.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:19 AM

I agree, Andy.

The thing is, he called the completed bet on third with a 7 up to my 10. Would a reasonable player call with a pair of sevens there? Perhaps, if he had a hand like (A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img])7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. But isn't it more likely that he has a hand like (A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]? Of course, in the latter case, he would likely fold on fourth, but maybe not.

It's a tricky situation to say the least. But I agree that the easiest solution is to check/fold fifth. If we are giving up something, it can't be that much.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree, Andy.

The thing is, he called the completed bet on third with a 7 up to my 10. Would a reasonable player call with a pair of sevens there? Perhaps, if he had a hand like (A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img])7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. But isn't it more likely that he has a hand like (A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]? Of course, in the latter case, he would likely fold on fourth, but maybe not.

[/ QUOTE ]

don't just try and put him on a hand you can beat. your opponent just paired his doorcard in a relatively small pot after calling a completion. It may be weak tight, but I'm not ready to fight at this point. Also, it would help if you were telling us the stakes, ante size, and bring in.

[ QUOTE ]

It's a tricky situation to say the least. But I agree that the easiest solution is to check/fold fifth. If we are giving up something, it can't be that much.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly.