Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2005, 09:07 AM

Default Got my Experian credit report some concerns

www.freecreditreport.com is nice, I suggest you employ them yourself.

1) I was under the impression that your cell phone carrier relationship would be included on your credit report; it is a form of credit extended to you?

2) I have an open credit card from when I was 18 years old which I can't find a way to contact the old bank. It simply says: BP-Citi. How can I seek them out and close that account? Or, for purposes of credit should I simply keep it open and use it for small purchases?
Old 07-06-2005, 09:27 AM

Default Re: Got my Experian credit report some concerns

1. i have paid alot of utility bill a few months late that never shows up on your credit report. also credit card payments that are less than 30 days dont show up.

2. just having one credit card and paying it off usually helps. my first credit card had about an 800 dollar limit. after paying that one off every month for a yr got one with a 4500 dollar limit to max out.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1) I was under the impression that your cell phone carrier relationship would be included on your credit report; it is a form of credit extended to you?

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope. It's just a service. They usually run a credit check on a potential customer before they will open an account just to make sure the person isn't a deadbeat.
[ QUOTE ]
2) I have an open credit card from when I was 18 years old which I can't find a way to contact the old bank. It simply says: BP-Citi. How can I seek them out and close that account? Or, for purposes of credit should I simply keep it open and use it for small purchases?

[/ QUOTE ]
You can't contact the bank? Don't you get a monthly statement from them? If not, then you probably don't have an account anymore. The history of that account stays on your record, usually for 5-7 years. If you still think you have an account go to the Citibank website and find a customer service number. Call them and ask them if you still have an account with them.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:23 AM

1) These things only go on your credit report if you have a bad history with them. Bad history meaning outstanding bills that go to their collections departments after you haven't paid them for 90 days. They're not really giving credit, but they want to make sure you have a history of paying those who do.

2) There should have been a page at the end with all of the contact information for your creditors and how to contact them (some say only by mail/fax, some include a telephone number).

It won't have much of an impact, but closing inactive accounts will help your score so long as it's not the ONLY credit you have.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
www.freecreditreport.com is nice, I suggest you employ them yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep it open. Closing accounts does NOT help your score, and can hurt it, because it will make your debt to credit ratio worse.

eastbay
Old 07-06-2005, 10:35 AM

Additionally, I have a Dell Credit account open which is revolving, if I ever decided that I wanted to buy a computer from them and pay the 30% interest. I think closing this makes sense simply because I'll never use it- but eastbay said to keep the non use, credit card open as it affects my credit/debt ratio.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can't contact the bank, how can you use the card?
Old 07-06-2005, 10:41 AM

one thing to keep in mind is that when companies credit check you they check to see how much credit you have available. if for instance they think you are good for 4k worth of credit and see that you have 2k credit available through other companies they may only issue you a 2k credit card. they take in to account open credit lines because if something happens where you have to max out all of your cards, they have to compete with the other credit agencies for who gets paid first.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think closing this makes sense simply because I'll never use it

[/ QUOTE ]

You can almost never improve your score by closing anything, if that's what you're trying to do. You can lower it, however, but hurting your debt/credit ratio.

eastbay
Old 07-06-2005, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Keep it open. Closing accounts does NOT help your score, and can hurt it, because it will make your debt to credit ratio worse.

[/ QUOTE ]
Closing accounts will help a person's score if he has too much credit - in other words, the debtor could potentially swamp himself with revolving debt. This does not apply to our OP.