Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2005, 12:02 PM

Default Who wants Brett Boone?

I was trying to come up with a place to send him and couldn't fathom anybody wanting him and his bloated contract. This was before the M's designated him for assignment. After they did this I wondered why the hell they would do that without a trade in place. Their explanation was that they wanted to force the issue with other teams. Good enough for me. So where does he go and how much of his salary do the M's eat? My guess is to the NYY and they eat $4 million. What do we get in return?
Old 07-05-2005, 12:25 PM

Default Re: Who wants Brett Boone?

My guess is to the NYY and they eat $4 million. What do we get in return?

is this a serious question?

no team is giving anything up for a washed up 2nd baseman who has been playing awful. especially a team with no hole at 2b.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was trying to come up with a place to send him and couldn't fathom anybody wanting him and his bloated contract. This was before the M's designated him for assignment. After they did this I wondered why the hell they would do that without a trade in place. Their explanation was that they wanted to force the issue with other teams. Good enough for me. So where does he go and how much of his salary do the M's eat? My guess is to the NYY and they eat $4 million. What do we get in return?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just what the Yanks need, another over the hill, broken down,overpaid player. Yanks won't touch this guy. Cano is their second baseman.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:59 PM

Somebody will grab him, these are pro sports GM's were talking about here.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My guess is to the NYY and they eat $4 million. What do we get in return?

is this a serious question?

no team is giving anything up for a washed up 2nd baseman who has been playing awful. especially a team with no hole at 2b.

[/ QUOTE ]

The media talk around Seattle has him going to NY or San Diego. He is still a great defensive player and has offensive potential. What you quoted was my guess. Like I said in the OP, I can't imagine anybody wanting him, but the Yankees have a proven track record of taking on overpriced and underperforming talent, so I stand by that guess. So what does Seattle get in return? I would assume something less than a top tier prospect or two.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The media talk around Seattle has him going to NY or San Diego. He is still a great defensive player and has offensive potential.

[/ QUOTE ]

The media talk in Seattle is dead wrong as far as NY is concerned. You talk potential about a talented young player
who has upside, not a player who is past his prime. Robinson Cano is batting close to .300 and although he has made 8 errors, he has shown excellent range and can turn a DP very well. No way Yanks bring Boone in and sit Cano.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The media talk around Seattle has him going to NY or San Diego. He is still a great defensive player and has offensive potential.

[/ QUOTE ]

The media talk in Seattle is dead wrong as far as NY is concerned. You talk potential about a talented young player
who has upside, not a player who is past his prime. Robinson Cano is batting close to .300 and although he has made 8 errors, he has shown excellent range and can turn a DP very well. No way Yanks bring Boone in and sit Cano.

[/ QUOTE ]

So where does he go and what does Seattle get in return?
Old 07-05-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So where does he go and what does Seattle get in return?

[/ QUOTE ]

nowhere and nothing
Old 07-05-2005, 03:03 PM

Seattle will be lucky to get a career minor leaguer in return. Boone is beyond done at this point. He can't hit, his range has severely diminished, and he is 36. Not gonna get any prettier from here.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:28 PM

The only team that I've seen show real interest in Boone is the Padres. He basically got a try out when the Mariners went down there to end interleague play. They sat him for an entire homestand to "work things out," then when they went to San Diego he played, they come back and he is fired. The M's front office was just giving the Padres a chance to see him again.