Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2003, 12:29 AM

Default Ethics question

At the end of a hand, I have AT on a board of A K K Q X and bet. Fishy kid calls me, I show, he says good kicker and mucks. Anyone award him half the pot or do anything other than stack the chips?
Old 02-08-2003, 12:45 AM

Default Re: Ethics question

Absolutely not, he saw your hand and conceded his face down. Stack the chips. If he shows it, and it is misread then that is another story. He simply stated a reason his hand is no good that makes no sense, oh well...he can't read the board if that's the case. For all you know he had nothing and was just lying about his holding before mucking it. He should learn to read the board.

Jeff
Old 02-08-2003, 12:47 AM

He should get nothing because he mucked his hand. It is another story if he tables his hand and says "nice kicker". Then it doesn't matter what he says because cards speak.

-- Homer
Old 02-08-2003, 12:59 AM

Stack the chips. There are some circumstances in poker where you aren't "entitled" to the pot but get it anyway due to a technicality where I think it is a gray area... but this is not it. It everyone's own job to read his hand and not muck it.
Old 02-08-2003, 01:36 AM

I would speculate that he also had a ten in his hand but no higher card and was simply being cute.
Old 02-08-2003, 01:37 AM

I agree with everyone else. You didn't do anything wrong.

Besides, who says he actually had an A? How often do you hear people lie about their hand after the fact? Way too often to start giving half of pots away, that's for sure.
Old 02-08-2003, 01:38 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

he didnt show his hand, so there is no cardspeak...

his loss.....

why would you award him anything? he hasnt even shown his cards....

stack em and smile...

i didnt get anything when i folded winners by accident (2 times) at showdown.....you learn that lessong very well when you do that too....

b
Old 02-08-2003, 02:14 AM

If I had called you down all the way with TT or QT, there's a decent chance I'd say something cute like "good kicker" before I mucked....
Old 02-08-2003, 04:26 AM

He mucked, your pot, no problem.

A stupid play from my past. The pot gets big preflop, I think that I had AK, or AQ. The flop comes AKQ. The pot gets bigger. Turn J, Now it is apparent that my two pair is no good, but I have outs for a full house, and the ten for a chop, and the pot is huge. River T. We check it down, and I say I'm playing the board, and toss my hand onto the muck face down. It is mucked and I lose instead of chopping.

The funny thing is, the dealer apologizes to me, and the other player in the pot apologizes, but they didn't do anything wrong. It was my mistake, and I knew the rule, and I screwed up, they didn't do anything to contribute to it. I just hope, that I don't ever do it again.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.
Old 02-08-2003, 11:50 AM

Ironically Bob you got ripped off. Check the rules of CP - you should have got half the pot. The exact same thing happened to me last night as well but I knew the rules and after some yelling finally got half the pot.

In regards to this kid, I think he was too dumb to try to rip me off. But oh well, I'll take the uh free $64.