Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2005, 08:11 AM

Default HH Review Q 1

Hi all,

First time poster, but long time reader and lurker.

I have been going through a bad phrase recently and so i figured now was a good time to post some hands that having been giving me problems.

This hand is from a $27 turbo NL tourny on PS.

My question with this hand is, is this a reasonable play. Shoul i raise Preflop or should i bet out on the flop.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (5 handed) converter

UTG (t2077)
MP (t2705)
Button (t2980)
Hero (t2240)
BB (t3498)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls t200, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t600) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t200</font>, Button folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t800
Old 07-04-2005, 10:50 AM

Default Re: HH Review Q 1

I would reraise PF if I thought there was a reasonable chance that the button would muck (read dependent). Other than that, this looks fine IMO. No need to bet at the K x x flop, as it didnt hit you at all.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:54 AM

How much would you raise PF?

Would you then make a contuation bet even if you missed?
Old 07-04-2005, 10:30 PM

Anyone else have any opinions on this?
Old 07-04-2005, 10:45 PM

I'd push this preflop if the button is a chronic limper from a variety of positions.

Betting out the flop here is moronic, you have no pair and no draw so you might as well push preflop when your hand is (most likely) ahead
Old 07-04-2005, 10:45 PM

I agree with the earlier reply, that whether or not to raise would be read dependant.

If I do raise, I go ahead and push, since you need to make larger than a standard raise with the limper, and you are barely over 10xBB anyway.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:07 PM

The guy was not a chronic limper, but had limped a few times in the past. I think in hindsight i should push in spots like this, unless i know the guy can limp with monster hands preflop. I mean then i would picked up 600 chips easily.

Is this correct logic or is that a risky move?
Old 07-05-2005, 01:15 AM

I'd push but like everyone else said its read dependent. I would say a good percentage of button limpers just want to get to a cheap flop and either flop something big or autobet when checked to. An UTG limper would scare me more.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:15 AM

I'd say that button almost never would call the push, and BB would call with like 15% or less of hands. So it definitely would turn a profit. But you need to know that button isn't tricky at all.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:25 AM

You can either push preflop (I don't think your stack is big enough to raise and then fold afterwards) or play this hand like you did. Both are viable. I also think you can fold here vs. certain opponents (i.e. the button has only limped like this earlier with a very big hand...and will compromise your ability to play the flop confidently).

I actually like pushing quite a bit here unless the button has shown a propensity to limp good hands and/or limp/call allin with his pps.

Yugoslav