Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2005, 02:22 AM

Default Religious Evidence and Miracles

In another thread David posted in reply to myself, he said that believers might believe themselves to possess additional personal evidence for their religious belief that would not be obvious/credible to unbelieving expert evidence evaluators, and I would like to comment further on this. NotReady gave in one post a partial "testimony", which is what Christians call telling how God brought about their individual conversions and continues to act in their lives. I most certainly believe that God has performed supernatural miracles, many of which are told of in the bible, and that He might from time to time continue to perform such miracles. Of course skeptical non-believers will merely state that in the case of such a miracle that might be reported today, that even if science cannot explain it, it is certainly due to the fact that either enough information has not been gathered regarding such a reported occurance, that the reporters were not credible, or that science merely has not progressed to the point to be able to explain what must surely have a rational scientific explanation. I should also mention that I personally do not believe most such current reports myself for the same reasons, such as a face being seen in the grime on the wall of an underpass, which I believe to be merely wishful thinking and no different than an interpretation of a Rorshach inkblot.

But I do not believe that supernatural means are the primary manner in which God chooses to perform miracles, or "interferences" if you prefer. If a Christian should pray for a safe journey and God chooses in His wisdom and compassion to answer that prayer, then take the case where a person would have taken a plane or a highway route that would have put him in danger. Sure, God possessing infinite power could either send a angel to warn that believer in advance, or could simply snatch him miraculously out of harm's way. But He also could just as simply with infinite power just cause that believer's car to malfunction and cause him to miss that plane or miss being on a highway at the time of a catastrophe. That is in fact how I believe God operates the vast majority of the time. Or in the case where He might want you to meet someone, like your future wife or a friend who will benefit you, He just causes you to happen to meet that person. Thus I believe that coincidences and serendipity are prime means by which God chooses to act.

Although I am religious, I am also highly scientifically and rationally oriented, and so I would not instantly ascribe any such occurance to divine intervention. Nonetheless, my own testimony is that there have been many times in my own life, when the timing of such occurances, when I needed them most and have prayed for help, have been the result of God's benevolent aid. I recognize that to a non-believer this would not be very credible evidence, but such actions on God's part were not meant to persuade others to religious belief, but rather to confirm to me His love and protection. And this is why I would rate the evidence for my religious faith much higher than a non-believing expert evidence evaluator would, with the full realization that such personal evidence would not change such an evaluator's determination of the odds. Even so, as believers, we still have to bear a certain amount of adversity that the gospel might entail, or that is merely the result of being a human living in an uncertain and often dangerous world.
Old 07-04-2005, 05:09 AM

Default Re: Religious Evidence and Miracles

A "change of heart" is the greatest miracle. There is plenty of evidence such miracles happen. They do not require the breaking of natural laws. If god is involved, they happen in partnership with him. He is not interfering nor violating free will. It's puzzling to me because these are clearly the miracles that matter imo, yet they seem to be considered irrelevant both by the religious and non-religious alike.

PairTheBoard
Old 07-04-2005, 05:57 AM

It seems to me that many religious people see the world around them and the events in their own life, and draw conclusions/beliefs from it without looking for contradictory evidence. Example:

[ QUOTE ]
Sure, God possessing infinite power could either send a angel to warn that believer in advance, or could simply snatch him miraculously out of harm's way. But He also could just as simply with infinite power just cause that believer's car to malfunction and cause him to miss that plane or miss being on a highway at the time of a catastrophe. That is in fact how I believe God operates the vast majority of the time. Or in the case where He might want you to meet someone, like your future wife or a friend who will benefit you, He just causes you to happen to meet that person.

[/ QUOTE ]
Every time God causes someone to 'miss that plane', a child starves in Africa for want of food or a 50c Vitamin injection. Every time God causes 'someone's car to malfuntion', an innocent child dies of AIDS after a miserable life. Or they get their limbs chopped off as has happened recently in the Congo. Or they get raped by some soldiers. Rather than help them get away, give them a feeling to go somewhere else, God in his infinite wisdom and power lets this happen. Maybe he's busy helping you with whatever desire you have? God will cause your car to malfunction, but he won't redirect the few HIV viruses that slipped through to the baby against the odds and made their short life horrible.

When the Tsunami happened and killed, injured and left homeless tens of thousands, instead of making the plate slip in a slightly different direction (and thus avoiding the tsunami), he was busy making your car malfunction so you'd take the bus instead and meet your future wife who would be 'good for you'.

Do you see the absurdity in your claims?

[ QUOTE ]
I am also highly scientifically and rationally oriented

[/ QUOTE ]
No sir, you are not. From the content of your post it is obvious you fail to understand such basic fallacies as confirmation bias, selective memory, subjective validation, or the nature of coincidence. You don't look for contrary examples of what you claim to be true, as an objective person would. You know them to be true already in your heart. This is neither rational nor scientific.
Old 07-04-2005, 04:12 PM

Great post Zorro.
Old 07-04-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems to me that many religious people see the world around them and the events in their own life, and draw conclusions/beliefs from it without looking for contradictory evidence. Example:

[ QUOTE ]
Sure, God possessing infinite power could either send a angel to warn that believer in advance, or could simply snatch him miraculously out of harm's way. But He also could just as simply with infinite power just cause that believer's car to malfunction and cause him to miss that plane or miss being on a highway at the time of a catastrophe. That is in fact how I believe God operates the vast majority of the time. Or in the case where He might want you to meet someone, like your future wife or a friend who will benefit you, He just causes you to happen to meet that person.

[/ QUOTE ]
Every time God causes someone to 'miss that plane', a child starves in Africa for want of food or a 50c Vitamin injection. Every time God causes 'someone's car to malfuntion', an innocent child dies of AIDS after a miserable life. Or they get their limbs chopped off as has happened recently in the Congo. Or they get raped by some soldiers. Rather than help them get away, give them a feeling to go somewhere else, God in his infinite wisdom and power lets this happen. Maybe he's busy helping you with whatever desire you have? God will cause your car to malfunction, but he won't redirect the few HIV viruses that slipped through to the baby against the odds and made their short life horrible.

When the Tsunami happened and killed, injured and left homeless tens of thousands, instead of making the plate slip in a slightly different direction (and thus avoiding the tsunami), he was busy making your car malfunction so you'd take the bus instead and meet your future wife who would be 'good for you'.

Do you see the absurdity in your claims?

[ QUOTE ]
I am also highly scientifically and rationally oriented

[/ QUOTE ]
No sir, you are not. From the content of your post it is obvious you fail to understand such basic fallacies as confirmation bias, selective memory, subjective validation, or the nature of coincidence. You don't look for contrary examples of what you claim to be true, as an objective person would. You know them to be true already in your heart. This is neither rational nor scientific.

[/ QUOTE ]

AMEN!
Old 07-04-2005, 04:43 PM

cum hoc ergo propter hoc

I have a magical ring which protects me from being attacked by tigers. I found it in a box of Lucky Charms. I know it protects me from tiger attack because I have yet to be attacked by a tiger while wearing it.

Where one looks hard enough for causality, one will find it.
Old 07-04-2005, 04:58 PM

That's hardly contradictory evidence, and I'm not sure why the chorus has come out to laud this as a result. Are you saying that a just God could not let unjust things happen? This is another one of the snide athiest's standard 'provoking' questions, empty of any content and only placed there to let the theist fumble around, as though he should even have to answer that.

Belief is non-rational. God's will, if it exists, is unknowable. It amazes me how willing so many on this forum are to clap their hands and pat themselves on the back at their own seeming 'rationality', both thiest and athiest.
Old 07-04-2005, 05:06 PM

"Belief is non-rational. God's will, if it exists, is unknowable. It amazes me how willing so many on this forum are to clap their hands and pat themselves on the back at their own seeming 'rationality', both thiest and athiest."

That's fine for Jews and Catholics (I think). But others who stipulate profound punishment for non belief, can't agree with you without admitting that God punishes people simply because they are remaining rational.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That's fine for Jews and Catholics (I think). But others who stipulate profound punishment for non belief, can't agree with you without admitting that God punishes people simply because they are remaining rational.

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as God treats unbelievers justly, any special favor (undeserved and unmerited) that he chooses to confer upon believers cannot be deemed immoral.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:27 AM

And you are talking immoral by human standards. But so what. You have deemed God not immoral for granting special, maybe undeserved, favors to believers but not unbelievers and I'll stipulate that you are right (although I think American Law sometimes deems special favors illegal).

The problem is that you don't really care what humans deem immoral. Because when you say God treats unbelievers justly, you mean send them to hell because Adam ate the apple and they don't acknowledge Christ died for that sin. Since most humans think such a punishment is immoral because it doesn't fit the "crime" and that doesn't concern you, why bother to defend the morality of special favors for believers?