Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2005, 09:51 PM

Default An Observation about Intelligent Design

I am admittedly not highly trained in these things, but I do have a question about what seems to me to be a piece of evidence which would contradict the idea of intelligent design.

It is my understanding that c, the speed of light, is the highest possible velocity that a physical particle can attain.

It is also my understanding that the common unit of long distances in astronomy is the light year.

Doesn't it seem like an extraordinary 'design flaw' that in something the size of our physical universe the highest possible speed is the speed of light?

Sorry if this is just an ignorant question, but if it is, hopefully there is a simple answer.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:54 PM

Default Re: An Observation about Intelligent Design

this is retarded
Old 07-03-2005, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't it seem like an extraordinary 'design flaw' that in something the size of our physical universe the highest possible speed is the speed of light?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Can you explain more why it seems a flaw? What constitutes a "flaw" and what is good design?
Old 07-03-2005, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why? Can you explain more why it seems a flaw? What constitutes a "flaw" and what is good design?

[/ QUOTE ]

It takes hundreds or thousands of years to cross the universe at the highest possible speed. This seems like it would be a design flaw considering our own life spans, if the universe were really created for us (humans).
Old 07-03-2005, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this is retarded

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your interest.

Any chance you could explain your logic, or are you just trying to bump up your post count?
Old 07-03-2005, 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It takes hundreds or thousands of years to cross the universe at the highest possible speed. This seems like it would be a design flaw considering our own life spans, if the universe were really created for us (humans).

[/ QUOTE ]

What makes you think the universe is created for us?
Old 07-03-2005, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What makes you think the universe is created for us?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't. That is the postition that was explained to me by a religious practitioner.

They think that intelligent design is obvious, I'm sure you've heard the arguments.

I suppose you are implying that who it was designed for is not important. It is an interesting thought, but I'm not sure I follow.

After all, if it was designed, then it must have been for someone. If not us, then who?

Oh yes, and before we get sidetracked, what do you think of my original question?
Old 07-03-2005, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The universe is, as you have noticed, large.

Whatever the maximum speed you're dealing with is, if you build something large enough, it takes awhile to get across it.

I think it's unwise to conclude that because something is a different size that you think it should be, whoever designed it much have made a mistake. Sometimes Michelangelo painted a cameo in an afternoon, sometimes he spent years painting the whole inside of a building, floor to ceiling and on across the roof. "In the beginning" God was in the mood to create the heavens and the earth. A few days later he was in the mood to create algae and plankton and minnows. A few days after that he was in the mood for lions and tigers and bears.

Humans are limited to projects that take from a few seconds to a few hundred years to accomplish. If you have more time on your hands than that ... why limit yourself to little stuff like the Great Wall of China?
Old 07-03-2005, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's unwise to conclude that because something is a different size that you think it should be, whoever designed it much have made a mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me rephrase the question.

What would be the advantage in designing a universe of this size with such a low possible maximum speed?

I think the disadvantages are obvious. The advantages elude me...
Old 07-04-2005, 12:14 AM

I don't think intelligent design argues that the universe was created specifically for us, (though many of its proponents probably believe that), but just that it's too complex to have ended up this way without someone pulling the strings.