Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2005, 09:48 AM

Default An observation about Religion....

People tend to have the same religion as their parents.

Another observation:

Religous people dont like to admit this to be true.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:58 AM

Default Re: An observation about Religion....

So true.

How many Christians suddenly became Muslims/Hindus/Paganists/whatever because "God spoke to them"?

How many Muslims suddenly became Christians/Hindus/Spiritualists/Hindus/Dreamtime warriors because "Krishna spoke to them".

Hell, how many Catholics became Protestants or Jehovah's witnesses because of the inherent truth in that version, or vice versa?

It's a fing joke.

Religion is a disease, you catch it from your parents, your friends and your neighbours. The cure is critical thought and plenty of fresh air.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
People tend to have the same religion as their parents.

Another observation:

Religous people dont like to admit this to be true.

[/ QUOTE ]

its called ethnocentrism and social anthropologist are highly aware of this phenominal trend.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:32 PM

That's been mentioned a lot. Here's one that hasn't. Many of the most vociferous defenders of their faith on this forum are quick to admit that the vast majority of those who share their sect are uninformed about it. And that these uninformed brothers would therefore not be able to refute my anti religion arguments. In fact without my having all the "information" most don't even blame me for my disbelief. In other words my disbelief is reasonable, given my lack of study.

But that attitude indicates that most of those who share their belief do so for no good reason. Perhaps mainly because of the influence from their parents, as the OP stated, rather than through any kind of studying or critical thought. But people like that aren't really believers then. At least not the kind that you would expect God to welcome. They are like the people who voted for Clinton because he was more handsome than Dole. Surely Clinton has contempt for them.

But this means that the true believers of any religion mentioned is only a small fraction of the number who claim that religion. So we can't say that anywhere near even 20% of the world are say Catholics (or whatever). Put another way, all informed religious people think an awful small fraction of the world is pleasing God at all concerning religious beliefs.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Put another way, all informed religious people think an awful small fraction of the world is pleasing God at all concerning religious beliefs.

[/ QUOTE ]

But so what? As Orwell said, sanity is not statistical.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps mainly because of the influence from their parents, as the OP stated, rather than through any kind of studying or critical thought. But people like that aren't really believers then.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is simply not true. While they may lack intellectual rigor in their beliefs, God says faith is enough and furthermore, in the Catholic faith we understand the Church as the teacher and holder of the lessons of Jesus. For many people that is enough. Obviously you have some disdain for people dont truly understand something they learn. But the fact is that is a fact of how people learn. We dont have time to intellectually explore everything we are taught. Sometimes we have to take it on "faith" that the teacher is teaching us correctly. I suspect that is what many people on the poker forums do when they read one of your posts on poker or math. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Also you are making huge assumptions about what God might find pleasing in a believer. Have you been on the phone with Him? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2005, 10:27 PM

The people who take the line you mentioned are always the ones who never take a stand. They just float all of your questions with answers like:

"Well God is complicated and we can never fully understand his plans...then they make some quotes from the bible... And then they answer Yes and No to your question..."
Old 07-03-2005, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps mainly because of the influence from their parents, as the OP stated, rather than through any kind of studying or critical thought. But people like that aren't really believers then.

[/ QUOTE ]

God says faith is enough

[/ QUOTE ]

I just want to go on the record now and say that I believe in God. (just incase i kill anyone before I die).
Old 07-03-2005, 10:33 PM

As Stephen Roberts said:

"I contend that we are all atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you.

When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

Idunno - I just thought it was mildly relevant to the conversation.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:07 AM

"We dont have time to intellectually explore everything we are taught. Sometimes we have to take it on "faith" that the teacher is teaching us correctly. I suspect that is what many people on the poker forums do when they read one of your posts on poker or math."

Sorry, but the above is simply terrible stuff. Notice for one that you are in essence agreeing with the OP that people choose their religion purely because of the happenstance of their parent's religion. Knowing full well that other children are choosing other religions because their parents share it.

Put another way how can anyone take on "faith that their teacher is teaching them correctly" when they know the subject they are learning is taught so many different ways around the world? And that if they happenned to live elsewhere a different teacher would be teaching them something else. Maybe something completely different. (Bet even Not Ready agrees with my point though he is cringing.)

As for those who take my poker advice on faith, firstly I strongly discourage that. That's why I almost always give reasons that they should be able to follow. Secondly, the analogy is totally flawed because I am a recognized expert, few things I say are seriously disputed, and those who take me on faith can choose anytime they want to stop doing that by checking me out more thoroughly (Through poker results, doing the math, or even asking other recognized experts.) You can't do any of that with your religion teacher.

Meanwhile your comment that some people may only have time to intellectually explore only some of the things they are taught leads natuarally to the question "Shouldn't this be one of those subjects?"