Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2001, 10:01 PM

Default Patriotic Dilemma

Well before September 11 I meant to get a flag for the house. One of the kits that you can put up on holidays and such. Thought it would be good for Veterans' Day, Memorial Day, and Independence Day. I never got around to it. When I thought of it I couldn't find one. When I could find one, I'd say I'd get it next time. So I don't have one and would like to fly one now. Of course, you can't get them. I have called a few places and can't find one. Everybody's backordered. Today I was in a store and they had flags. Great, pick one up and we're good to go, right. Not exactly. The flags were made in China. I couldn't bear the hypocrisy of flying a ChiCom American flag. But I suspect they are selling well. Not at my house though.
Old 10-25-2001, 10:11 PM

Default Re: Patriotic Dilemma

i agree. although i am all for buying the best product for the best price regardless of where its made, the whole reason for the flag flying is country patriotism and how can you justify that with a flag made elsewhere especially by a country that doesnt support the democractic process.
Old 10-26-2001, 01:34 AM

Default Re: Patriotic Dilemma, is it in the union label?

Dear Cousin,

Please get over yourself! Where the flag was made shouldn't make any difference. The hypocrisy, maybe in the Union Label. Free trade is where the future lies. One nation giving it's best to other nations in return for their best. I don't know who makes the best flags and frankly I don't care. I usually like what you write but not today.

SPM,...fly the flag and be proud to be an American...
Old 10-26-2001, 01:42 AM

Default Re: Patriotic Dilemma

I agree it's a dilemma. I think I agree with you, but then again what do you expect? I bought a Norweigan flag, and a Swiss flag- neither one made in their respective countries. Kind wierd if you think about it.

Oh yeah, they try to sell swiss flags that are rectangular at some places- now that's a disgrace.
Old 10-26-2001, 01:50 AM

Default There is no dilemma here, just shallow thinking

Z,

You speak with fork tongue. Do you think anyone who sees this made in China flag will give it a second thought, as to where it was made? Or will they doubt the patriotism of the one flying it over their home. I think not, freedom demands that we let the other guy have his choice of politics. Live and let live, we don't have to agree with them.

SPM,...lets fly those flags high wherever they were made...
Old 10-26-2001, 01:57 AM

Default How many holes are in a Swiss Flag?

More holes than in this ridiculous dilemma. Should we now discuss where our oil comes from?

SPM,...deal the cards...
Old 10-26-2001, 02:27 AM

Default Not just a choice of politics

There's a good chance that ChiCom flag was made by slave labor in their prison camps just like so many of their other cheap goods are.

The political prisoners in China don't have a choice of politics, and neither does the common man in the streets or the peasants. They can't even discuss it without fear.

If they had chosen their system or their leaders it would be different. But not only did they not choose them, they don't dare even speak of free elections or democracy. So when you say let the other fellow have their choice of politics, that's just the point: the Chinese people don't, unless you consider an iron-fisted rule by a relative few to be the choice of all those whom they repress and deny the right of choice to.

Old 10-26-2001, 03:23 AM

Default Re: How many holes are in a Swiss Flag?

What kind of stupid question is that? Come up with a better attempt at humor next time.

I you want to discuss where our oil comes from then start a new thread.
Old 10-26-2001, 03:43 AM

Default Re: Not just a choice of politics

Are you a member of the John Birch Society?

George Herbert Walker Bush has many good things to say about China. In his illustrious career he was at one time the US special envoy.

Your solution for gun control below seems a bit extreme, too.
Old 10-26-2001, 05:42 AM

Default Re: Not just a choice of politics

No, I'm not a member of the John Birch Society, but you are a member of the moron society. Have a nice day.