Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 03:23 PM

Default Torre\'s 10th inning last night

Ok, so last night Joe Torre did something I thought was, plain stupid.

Bottom of the 10th. top of the os lineup is coming up, roberts leading off. gordon had pitched two innings as was out. everyone else is available. other factors- bj ryan had pitched two innings and was out. the good part of nyys order was coming up in the 11th, cano sheff arod.

So Joe Torre brought in Mike Stanton, 1st pitch to Roberts is right over the plate and Roberts just destroys it. Torre could have brought in Rivera or Sturtze, but chose the crappy 6+ ERA stanton. Would anyone pitched Rivera here in a non save situation? Or at least not Stanton, maybe Sturtze?
Old 06-29-2005, 03:26 PM

Default Re: Torre\'s 10th inning last night

I hear theo is offering torre a job with the red sox as a bench coach. maybe he'll take sveum's job at 3rd base.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, so last night Joe Torre did something I thought was, plain stupid.

Bottom of the 10th. top of the os lineup is coming up, roberts leading off. gordon had pitched two innings as was out. everyone else is available. other factors- bj ryan had pitched two innings and was out. the good part of nyys order was coming up in the 11th, cano sheff arod.

So Joe Torre brought in Mike Stanton, 1st pitch to Roberts is right over the plate and Roberts just destroys it. Torre could have brought in Rivera or Sturtze, but chose the crappy 6+ ERA stanton. Would anyone pitched Rivera here in a non save situation? Or at least not Stanton, maybe Sturtze?

[/ QUOTE ]

only thing i can think of is wanting to save river for the save, plus he pitched the night before (along with sturtze, albeit only one inning apiece) also, roberts is less dangerous from the right side of the plate (both this season and in his career
Old 06-29-2005, 03:41 PM

Torre wanted to turn Roberts around since he's killed Yanks all year from left side. Also, Rivera had pitched 2 previous nights and didn't want to bring him into a tie game.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:45 PM

Yeah, that was pretty damned bad.

Rivera needs to be in in that situation.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Torre wanted to turn Roberts around since he's killed Yanks all year from left side. Also, Rivera had pitched 2 previous nights and didn't want to bring him into a tie game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is really dumb - if you don't use one of the best relievers in the game in one of the most important situations you'll likely ever come across... when will you use him?

With a three run lead?

Ridiculous.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:53 PM

i think the idea of switching roberts up is plain dumb, especially if you have to go to someone like stanton to do so. thats like pinch hitting bubba crosby for matsui because a lefty pitcher is on the mound.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think the idea of switching roberts up is plain dumb, especially if you have to go to someone like stanton to do so. thats like pinch hitting bubba crosby for matsui because a lefty pitcher is on the mound.

[/ QUOTE ]

well its not dumb, because he is worse by a decent margain from one side of the plate then the other. however, when it requires brining in a pitcher who is signifiganlty worse than another guy it tends to lose value [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

also, bigbie (L) was due to bat second. i dunno...given that situation along with rivera having picthed two previous nights in a row, i can see what he was thinking i suppose.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:44 PM

It was the right decision. You would have second guessed Torre if he uses Mo and Mo gives up a homer to Brian from the left side. It was a tough decision but ultimately the right one.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:08 PM

well its dumb if you have to twist the bullpens arm all around to get him on the left side of the plate.

my analogy is good.

if we had a capable pitcher to bring in to get roberts to go righty and could save mo for later, id support it. but stanton is just awful.