Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 09:42 AM

Default Time to loosen up in the early levels?

I've been multi-tabling the 20's as my main form of poker since January of this year. I only play about 100-150 sng's a month though. I play the typical "ultra-tight in the first 3 levels, and then aggressive push or fold once I am under 10bb's around the bubble" game.

I was doing quite well till early May and am down a couple hundred bucks since then. I am sure that a big part of the reason I am down over the last 6 weeks is variance, but I feel that the games have tightened up a bit as well. There are often more players around in the later levels and more of them playing correctly. I am wondering if loosening up with position and pushing smaller edges early is needed as a way of getting more of the loose money from the weaker players. Right now I pretty much only open with AJ-AK and pairs 99 and up in levels 1 to 3. I will also limp with pocket pairs if it costs less then 5% of my stack.

Is it time to start seeing more flops in good position with stuff like Axsuited KQ-KT,QJ, suited connectors and trying to play good post flop poker? Or maybe this is the last thing I should be doing as I would just be bleeding too many chips and taking away my chance to be a threat around the bubble. The problem is though, that it's getting tougher to steal late in these tourneys.